10th Mountain Div. PH, BS etc. group

Chris

Greetings

While this is not in my focus area, I did not like the folks who were eye-balling it at the estate sale, so I snagged it up! It is a wonderful group. The veteran was Robert. S. Rodgers IV. - SN# 15359663. The large frame is professionally done, so you can't open it without cutting the backing. But I was able to carefully rotate the frame and was pleased to discover that, at least, the Purple Heart and Bronze Star are named. So too is the Good Conduct that is in the box with a second (unnamed) Purple Heart. I am not sure if the framed GC is named. Also in the frame is a piece of shrapnel (I am guessing the cause of his PH), his CIB, a larger ski pin with 10th DUI affixed, dog tag, marksmanship badges, campaign medals, post war Ski Instructor badges, etc. There is a box with (post war) 10th Mountain Division books, a scrapbook that has primarily high school sports related articles, his BA certificate and a few 10th Mountain related documents including his application to the ski troops, a letter of reference, a 1987 dated Bronze Star certificate, and song apparently created/adopted by the 87th. A large CIB belt buckle and misc. He became a ski instructor after the war. I would love to know more about his service. Just thought you might enjoy seeing this.

10th 1.jpg

10th 2.jpg

10th 3.jpg

10th 4.jpg

10th 5.jpg

10th 6.jpg

10th 7.jpg

10th 8.jpg

10th 9.jpg

Nice group! I have purchased a number of groups that were is displays like this one. I typically remove the items from the frames as it just isn't feasible to store such items in my collection. The medals are relatively modern reissues, and probably go with the 1987 dated BSM document. The best piece in there is the 10th MTN ski pin. Nice catch!

• 4 months later...

So you are the one who bought this. A guy i know bought the other bronze star and showed it to me in  August? if I recall. I finally got it from him today. 

Radio Operator

That's a great pick up! I found a named 10th mountain division uniform and was able to do some research on the past owner through the Denver Public Library website. They have a lot of information and photographs on the 10th from WW2 . I was able to find a company picture which had the past owner of the uniform in it, definitely worth a look while waiting for NARA to open up.