WW1 MK III Aerial bomb, unexpected find.

They used to be very hard to find, but lately I know of three or four that were on the market. Most came from life long collections being liquidated. I saw one here a few weeks ago that a member acquired.

14 minutes ago, sundance said:

Love that ordinance. The WW1 bomb is particularly neat. ....and I'm always amazed when I see that 16 inch projectile.  

The 16”/50 is really impressive, currently in my garage, but it gives me a back ache every time I just think about moving it...it weighs in at 2,000 lbs and it sits with a high CG Making winching onto the trailer always a nervous Nellie exercise....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I bought the Mk II 20lb aerial bomb at a flea market around 1970-71. Empty and I could never figure out how it was fuzed. The thin steel tail assembly is held on by a small nut and bolt on each fin. the lettering on the black band reads - M-R CORP Mark II Lot _____ No. _____ ____

I have found no other markings.

U.S. Mk II 20 lb bomb, empty .1.JPG

U.S. Mk II 20 lb bomb, empty, dismantled.JPG

prewwiibomb20.jpg

prewwiibomb19.jpg

Concerning your 50 lb MkIII, what would that have been charged with? They didn't have a lot of specialty explosives back then did they? And I thought my Oerlikon round was taking up a lot of space!

I have this one , 2,000 lbs,16”/50, I moved it into a local museum as I ran out of room….thinking of moving it back into my house….the living room, as the wife ( ex) has departed. A man has to do what he has to….I also have a nice 9 foot 1971 500 lb practice bomb, that needs to come home.

IMG_5538.jpeg

IMG_0619.jpeg

IMG_0830.jpeg