Solar Furnace

Mitchelj1121

Found a really cool piece of history straight from the Cold War at its height of nuclear paranoia.  I’ve been working in a old army warehouse doing fairly routine work when I came across a small dirt pile in a corner under a shelving unit.  At first it seemed like maybe someone had torch cut a mount, but after further inspection I realized it was an 8”x8”x2” plate of steel with a hole burned in the middle of it.  I thought maybe it was an example of a capable armor piercing ordnance or something, but encrusted in the dirt was a placard.  It reads “US Army Quartermaster Corps Solar Furnace February 1959”.  After looking up what a solar furnace is, I realized that I had just come across something that’ll decorate my living room for decades to come.  I did not take this off of the base without first getting permission, just to be clear.  If anyone has any info on this project or questions I’d love hear.

https://youtu.be/0tK3s1Vnol0

link to video describing the solar furnace

C3DF9E2F-5EFD-4F22-BB90-084F696AC241.jpeg

B534AB0C-6AEB-4E40-9798-9F429345D419.jpeg

1A396785-4E34-43AD-ADBE-D2FF4BC647CE.jpeg

E2A44471-4821-4121-80AB-C56BCE941ECA.jpeg

Well that is something very unique. You don’t see those everyday. If I understand correctly, the piece you found was the test piece that was subjected to the focusing point of the solar furnace amplified mirrored beams. 

Chris 

Yes, I believe it might be from the original testing and probably a show for the press, themselves to display, or maybe even a gimmick to give away or to sell.  Either way it shows the power and efficacy of solar engineering, especially considering they were able to do it during a New England winter in the 50’s.  The original furnace was moved from Natick Massachusetts to the southwest.  If you want to see something really cool check out solar power towers.