Flag Preservation

cwrenn

I have a WW1 front line field hospital flag grouping that has obviously been through a tough life. What's the best way to preserve something like this? The US Flag is of particular concern because I'm not sure it could handle being pinned to a board for framing. Thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated 20200922_124848.jpg.e1a279ae2af257a0abc063108689a09b.jpg20200922_124848.jpg.e1a279ae2af257a0abc063108689a09b.jpg

20200922_124746.jpg

20200922_124652.jpg

These are very interesting flags...

I would highly advise against washing or dry cleaning these items as any rigorous handling will most likely shred these beyond any reasonable type of repair. Dry cleaning also has chemical components that may cause damage.

If you are willing to invest the money these should be properly conserved/preserved by a professional company and mounted properly in acrylic.

The 1st Armored Division Museum where I am curator has numerous flags that date back to the Civil War and we sent approximately 10 flags from our collection to the Rocky Mountain Regional Conservation Center in Colorado for proper repair, conservation and preservation. This organization carefully assessed each flag and reported to the museum the process for each flag and documented the entire restoration process and provided a detailed report as well as before and after photos detailing the repairs that had to be done on some of the flags and they also provided cloth swatches for the areas that were repaired as well as swatches of the muslin material that was used as the back material the flag was carefully mounted to. A flag that was in similar condition as your US flag with the tears and rips was repaired and is now hanging with no stress on the repaired areas as it was carefully reinforced with matching fabrics and then stitched to the muslin backing to prevent any drooping,, so the conservators know how to make these type of repairs in order to hang the flags in frames for exhibt/display 

Good luck with your decision.

Best regards

Leigh

1 hour ago, Rakkasan187 said:

These are very interesting flags...

I would highly advise against washing or dry cleaning these items as any rigorous handling will most likely shred these beyond any reasonable type of repair. Dry cleaning also has chemical components that may cause damage.

If you are willing to invest the money these should be properly conserved/preserved by a professional company and mounted properly in acrylic.

The 1st Armored Division Museum where I am curator has numerous flags that date back to the Civil War and we sent approximately 10 flags from our collection to the Rocky Mountain Regional Conservation Center in Colorado for proper repair, conservation and preservation. This organization carefully assessed each flag and reported to the museum the process for each flag and documented the entire restoration process and provided a detailed report as well as before and after photos detailing the repairs that had to be done on some of the flags and they also provided cloth swatches for the areas that were repaired as well as swatches of the muslin material that was used as the back material the flag was carefully mounted to. A flag that was in similar condition as your US flag with the tears and rips was repaired and is now hanging with no stress on the repaired areas as it was carefully reinforced with matching fabrics and then stitched to the muslin backing to prevent any drooping,, so the conservators know how to make these type of repairs in order to hang the flags in frames for exhibt/display 

Good luck with your decision.

Best regards

Leigh

let me revise what i stated thanks to this lame key board i have. i was going to say DONT WASH or DRY CLEAN. it will fall apart.

15 hours ago, Costa said:

let me revise what i stated thanks to this lame key board i have. i was going to say DONT WASH or DRY CLEAN. it will fall apart.

I kind of thought it was a typo error.. I know you know your stuff Costa...

No harm no foul..

Hope you are well, stay safe

Best regards

Leigh

dhcoleterracina

My first observation is the color of the national flag, it's very dark and consistent with a ship flown flag. Flags flown downwind of the ships stacks cause this dark staining. This coupled with the multi-grommet suggests it's a Navy flag. Perhaps a hospital ship? Perhaps a ships flag given away to the medical people? Many explanations possible. 

Professional conservation is wonderful and the best option for preserving flags. Unfortunately it will exceed the market value of the flags and with a little research, you can do it yourself. Common plastic tubs are fine. Other threads here on the tub types that are proper. 

Most importantly DON'T CLEAN!!!!