B-17 Radio Operator set up

Radio Operator

Radio Operator

Hello, this is my Radio Operator display that I've set up for my Great Uncle who was a radio operator in a B-17G apart of the 447th bombardment group in the 708th bombardment squadron in 1942 - 1944. Before I got any further I'd like to thank AZPhil who helped me a lot with putting this together without him I don't think I would've been able to do this on my own. Now for the parts I have a B6 helmet with added snaps, an A10a oxygen mask, an M3 flak helmet, and the goggles are the m1944. I know the m1944 goggles are not correct, but I've put them on since I had them sitting in a box and they make a good place holder until I find a nice AN 6530 set. Also some form of headset has to be added as well, but trying to find a B6 with both ear cups and snaps has been hard and I'm also not 100% sure what headset he would've worn if he didn't have ear cups. The reason I went with a B6 and an A-10 mask is that those were the two items I have a photo of him wearing during training. The M3 flak helmet is there as he mentioned having a steel helmet on (It could've been an M1 as well) during one of his missions that protected his head when the plane had to make "evasive maneuvers" when they were attacked by a few 109s. He actually recorded his missions in a separate book before being shot down in late January of 1944 I'll post the one that mentions the steel helmet. 

IMG_6970 (2).JPG

IMG_6973 (2).JPG

IMG_7431.jpg

IMG_5950.JPG

IMG_5958 (2).JPG

IMG_5962 (2).JPG

IMG_6968 (2).JPG

IMG_7434.JPG

Thats an awesome display and the letters are too !

Cool way to honor your uncle.

I read the letters / almost reports of the missions.

Harrowing to say the least. I think over 15000 feet you have to have oxygen.

Not positive but I think its around there. 15000 or so.

Thank you for sharing ! Welcome aboard too !

Great display!  It is impressive how you pieced everything together.  

But the crown jewels are your uncle's first hand accounts.  Those are part of American history.  Thanks very much for sharing!

Outstanding setup, and a moving tribute to your great-uncle.
It also goes without saying that I took great pleasure in reading these personal mission logs, they are a sheer testimony of the bravery of all allied bomber crews who fought over occupied Europe during WW2, and a stunning example of what they went through.

Thanks for sharing :) .

Excellent job honoring your uncle.

I also will say that my help was just the result of the fine folks here helping me out.

I felt I had to share what was shared with me.

I have to say I'm loving the A-10 mask. Perfect date of my uncle being shot down!!!

It looks awesome and you got a SMOKING deal on that one.

Semper Fi

Phil

Radio Operator

Next time they show by me opens up I'm grabbing the second one he had for you. I Don't think he sells anything online so he should still have it and some of the other nice USAAF setups that were on display that day. thank you all for the reading and the kind words I really appreciate it, the book he put together during his service is amazing to read and shows how brave the B-17 crews were to go repeatedly on these missions.