B8 Goggles Heated Lens Repro Power cord for display.

The Rooster

DSCF3146.JPG.98a1f2d42b88a0deb21ca52800e94cff.JPGGreetings all.

I am working on repro power cord for theB8 goggles heated lens..

Here it is as it stands so far. I still need to find suitable snaps to attach to the back of the lens.

I had no luck finding the small plugs but I found a slightly larger version which will work.

Im going to add the plug when it comes in. I found 20 of the plugs pictured.

I painted the white tic marks onto one wire. Im thinking of using one red and one black wire instead of adding the tic marks.

It wont carry power and is just for display. I'l update it when I finish the first one.

I used 27 inches of cord. May have to go a bit longer.....

post-106404-0-84219400-1413831020.jpg

DSCF3145.JPG

DSCF3144.JPG

DSCF3143.JPG

DSCF3142.JPG

DSCF3141.JPG

5151.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

DSCF3147.JPG

23 minutes ago, mohawkALSE said:

Looks like the original plug is a microphone style U-173/U which are still used on numerous helmet, mask and headset applications.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/U-173-U-MP-101-NEXUS/254230466551?hash=item3b31510ff7:g:~vAAAOSwn39c2cHW

Thank you !!! Thats going to make a big difference !

Thank you !!! I ordered some.

I've made some progress on the cord. Thank you to Mowhawk for directing me to the proper plugs.

All I need now is the snaps to snap the wires to the inside of the lens.

DSCF3155.JPG

DSCF3157.JPG

DSCF3158.JPG

phantomfixer

I am liking it so far...good luck on the snaps, I hope you find them...and the wire to snap connection, is it an eyelet style connector...need a 1940s style....keep us posted

Check a leathergoods supplier for the snaps.  There is a brand called Segma Snaps that are larger and heavier-duty than the standard snaps you find at fabric stores.  Try Tandy Leather.  Oregon Leather in Portland used to have a mail-order catalog, not sure if they still do.

SAs for the microphone connectors, try Aircraft Spruce or Sporty's Pilot Shop, or google aviation connectors or avionics connectors, or headset connectors, etc. and see what you can find.  Most of the old PL, U, and AN stuff is still available.

• 4 months later...

Many thanks to AzPhil !!!

He discovered the answer to the snaps needed for the back of the heated lens !!!

Many thanks !!!

Brilliant even !!!

2 hours ago, pararaftanr2 said:

And, the answer is???

Still under investigation, but they have a blue print that will work. The proof of concept sounds abought right.   😁

3 hours ago, pararaftanr2 said:

And, the answer is???

Well Sir,

P-59A thought to use the snaps off the throat mike elastic strap.

AZ Phil passed that info to me and I had one strap here and tried it and its a fit !!!

Now to modify the leather tab the snap is on and hook a wire to it.

Its going to be a while until I can get this done.

I had asked P-59A about the type of snap needed, He suggested I talk to Rooster.

So I sent Rooster a couple PM's asking if the snaps were the same type used on the throat mic's and he said yes they are.

I had bought some snaps over a year ago to make my own throat mic straps , But found some NOS and didn't pursue any further.

I am currently looking for them. I have 2 more footlocker and some ammo crates to check out.

But I will find them and send some to Rooster to see if they will work.

Looking at the photo above with the actual lenses installed. It looks like electrical eyelet terminals were used to splice the wire to the snaps. I have those and got some at work to play with sizes to match the snap diameter 

Semper Fi

Phil

5 hours ago, P-59A said:

Para, Do you have any photo's of the wiring of the lens ? Trying to find more detailed photo's of the snaps.

Nothing very detailed, but this enhanced image from the original instruction sheet might be of a little help, hopefully? It does show both the front and reverse of the male snap attached to the wiring.

4.jpg

1.jpg

Para, That helps, looking to see how the wire was connected to the snaps. Does the instruction sheet say how the wires were held on the mask. Did they just lay over?

55 minutes ago, P-59A said:

Para, That helps, looking to see how the wire was connected to the snaps. Does the instruction sheet say how the wires were held on the mask. Did they just lay over?

You were instructed to cut between two of the small ventilation holes on each side of the rubber frame to insert the connections on the wire through the frame exterior. The connecting wire (marked "B" in figure 1, shown above) then lay across the top of the goggle frame exterior.

1a.jpg

electr10a.jpg

1 hour ago, dmar836 said:

I wouldn't destroy a throat mic strap if these are the typical glove snaps. They won't look right IMO since they were set on something else.

Dave

I hear ya about not wanting to destroy the straps, but it is the best fit yet.

I do like the idea if sandwiching a ring connector between the snaps. But Im guessing

the metal would have to be very thin or else the snap would not snap shut ?

The snaps are made to have material in between the top and bottom part when assembled.  

I have the eyelet terminals and they come in different sizes and thickness. Also they maybe soldered to the snaps. So seeing one in detail would help.

This will be a trial and error. But snaps and terminals come in enough quantity to be able to play around a bit to get it right.

Semper Fi 

Phil

Snaps of all sizes and forms are readily available - just not at your local stores. I have a variety for clothing and upholstery work.

It's worth finding and painting the correct stuff especially if you intend to make more than one think as you implied.

Anything worth doing is worth doing right

JMO

snap.jpg

thumbnail1.jpg

Ask and ye shall receive.

I asked about this on an FB page for USAAF reenactors & collectors. One of the folks on there is also a Friend from the 384th Bomb Group website where I am a member and also worked on putting B-17 crew Loading list on to their database.

He posted these photo's and I also asked for a side view to confirm that the terminal eyelet is in between the top and bottom of the snap connector.

855228407_B-8heatedgoggleconnectortop.jpg.d4cb09862033471f61b4453185bd934b.jpg794548915_B-8heatedgoddleconnectorfemaleend.jpg.15387a43104bb961fe67bf321c40cd38.jpg

Looks like maybe you need the size on the left for the larger glove button.

Would be easy to cobble together with the correct ring connectors. Painting olive drab or khaki wouldn't be hard but getting 24V on the caps would be a challenge. Looks like the female part is blackened. The modern thick, hard plastic crimp cover wouldn't look correct if you are going for detail. Heat shrink would look closer IMO.

I see no reason these wouldn't be functional - at least in theory.

23.jpg

Nice selection dmar, I would have "LIKE" , But I'm all out of likes for the day!!!

On the throat mic strap ,The center post stud measured at approximately 4.1mm.   Approximately 3.9mm for the female hole.

So just for reference for the new snaps.

Semper Fi

Phil