Bastogne 2008 Re-enactment

Johan Willaert

The article wasn't seen in full beforehand. A few little errors are in there that I would have rather have changed before the copy went to publishing, but never mind... and blame the "gaiters" reference on the fact that the writer is a Brit!

Cheers,

Glen.

Corpl. Cleaver

Cool..... one of my Great Uncles was in the 89th Mec Recon Squad of the 9th Armored Division.

Good job guys.

Tyler

Thanks - there were 58 of us there as 52nd Armored Infantry and 89th Cavalry Recon, both units of the 9th Armored Division that fought with at Bastogne with that other lot (Hundred and something or other...., I forget....). Along with 2 Half-tracks, 1 x M8 Armored Car (should have been two, but won't go down that storyline right now), 2 x GMC's and 3 x Jeeps).

Last year we portrayed the 10th Armored - it's nice to represent the "other" units that defended Bastogne and which get lost in the 101st hype.

Here's a pic of the start of our columns in the main parade in Bastogne on the Saturday:

n575477870_1168906_7356.jpg

Cheers,

Glen.

Corpl. Cleaver

Glenn, say thank you to all the guys that reenacted the 89th Recon for me.

My greatuncle was in the last class trained with horses in 1941, and was with the 9th untill the end of the war.

Tyler

ah, I'm just kidding. But I do hate it when I hear people called them spats or gaiters.

Haha, i thought thats why you were saying that. But why, thats what they're called? Leggings, or Gaiters. Spats, no, i agree on that one, Spats are the extra piece of gaurd covering wheels and tyres on old cars :P