Fantasy Ribbon Rack or Could it be Possible?

hirsca

Since March, when Covid-19 Kept us from going to estate sales, I have been thinning out the collection.  Found this ribbon rack in a box of miscellaneous items, long forggoten.  No name associated with it.  Looks petty new with the Vanguard ribbons and Vanguard plastic backing.  Seems to be a gap in service between WW2 and Viet Nam, with reserve time in between.  What bothers me is only one good conduct award in all that time.  I guess anything is possible, what do you think?

Thanks, Al

IMG_4471.JPG

IMG_4472.JPG

I think it very well could be real. He was a reservist and my hunch is that he might not have all of his devices on his rack...or was just a career red-striper...not impossible back then (figure this goes from ~1944 to the late-60s?) 

Salvage Sailor

As Dave said, he could have been a 'Steamer' as we called them, and had few if any good conduct ribbons.

Another option and quite common in the mid 1950's......

This could be a LDO's ribbon rack (Limited Duty Officer, i.e. Mustang).  If he was commissioned within his first 7 years of service, he would only have had one USN good conduct ribbon.

1 hour ago, Salvage Sailor said:

This could be a LDO's ribbon rack (Limited Duty Officer, i.e. Mustang).  If he was commissioned within his first 7 years of service, he would only have had one USN good conduct ribbon.

Totally forgot about that...could absolutely be. Also, could be someone like a chaplain or a medical corps officer as well who was enlisted for one or two enlistments, remained a reservist and then came back on active duty to serve during Vietnam...

And either they are missing their star on their NDSM for Korea, they got out and didn't participate in the Korean War. That would lend even more credibility to someone who was enlisted in WW2, got out, went to college (even seminary/medical school) during the early 1950s and then became a reserve officer, serving in the 60s and even 70s.

Thank you to all of you for your comments.  With the EGA on the Viet Nam Service ribbon and the Combat Action Ribbon, my guess would be that being attached to the Marine Corps, he could have been a Corpsman.

Thanks again, Al

Regardless of his role as a Navy man serving with a Marine unit, that is one cool ribbon group. It has a little bit of everything: personal award, unit awards, campaign ribbons, long service and marksmanship awards. This guy must've had a very interesting career! Thanks for sharing it, Al!