• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Greetings Forum members.. Hoping that you are all doing well in your part of the world...

I have been cleaning up some of the records we have at the museum and I have come across this ribbon that I believe has been misidentified. Initially it was marked as an Unknown ribbon on the accession card, but was later entered into the database as a Mexican Border Service Ribbon. The Mexican Service Medal colors are similar but not exact and the person who entered the information in the database may have thought this was the same ribbon.

This accession did belong to a Soldier/Veteran who serviced in the 8th Cavalry on the Mexican Border and his Mexican Service ribbon and Mexican Border Service Ribbon were included in the accession. I cross referenced where the donation came from (Pennsylvania) and checked to see if the commemorative medal from the State of PA was possibly this ribbon combination but it was a different color combination.

It may be a Mexican Border Service or Mexican Service Commemorative Ribbon from a National Guard unit from another State but I have not been able to locate it yet.

Would like to positively identify this ribbon with a reference source if possible so I can properly update the records and the database with correct data.

Thank you for looking

Best regards and Blessings

Leigh

CCN 247705a.JPG

CCN 247705b.JPG

"Pain is only Weakness Leaving the Body"

MSG Leigh E Smith Jr
US Army (Retired)

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

This is a proposed design for the Spanish War Service Medal by Bailey, Banks & Biddle. While BB&B produced some of the ribbon (which is often seen on ribbon bars), the design was not accepted by the Army and so never issued (Ref "The Call of Duty", Strandberg and Bender).

Jeff Floyd

The universe is made up of neutrons, protons, electrons and morons

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

Jeff,

Thank you VERY much. This information you provided will be updated into the catalog system and properly annotated.

I appreciate you reaching out to help clarify and identify what this ribbon actually was/is.

We have a substantial reference library on Armored vehicles and foreign equipment but lack some basic reference material for US insignia.. Will try to obtain an extra copy from another museum..

Thank you again,

Best regards and Blessings, stay safe

Leigh

"Pain is only Weakness Leaving the Body"

MSG Leigh E Smith Jr
US Army (Retired)

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif