Halloween Warning Order and POST your finds

Halloween 2020, COVID sucks but lets get out there and hit those racks. Billy the nose picker and the Goth horde are looking to take away those good uniforms that sahould be in your collection!  Who are we? Collectors and the keepers of history!  We are not quitters! So get out there and accomplish your mission!

Here is what is offered at my local GW. Nothing special, the best piece hanging was the Navy Aviation Senior Chief's khaki jacket (with bullion rate). Not my cup of tea, so I did a catch and release.    

GW military rack 2020.jpg

donation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

I "primarily" collect Gulf War 1 patches. All branches (USA, USAF,USN, USMC & USCG) and ALL Countries..
US - Op.'s Desert Shield / Storm / Provide Comfort /Some Southern Watch - F-4G's Wild Weasels
UK - Op.'s Granby / Sabre / Warden
Canadian - Op. Desert Storm / Op. Friction
French - Daguet / Aconit
Netherlands, Belgium, Poland, South Korea, etc.
Looking for the oddities, including unfinished & flaws
I HAVE EXTRA's!! Will trade as well.

Come on folks!! Any good hunts!?!  

I "primarily" collect Gulf War 1 patches. All branches (USA, USAF,USN, USMC & USCG) and ALL Countries..
US - Op.'s Desert Shield / Storm / Provide Comfort /Some Southern Watch - F-4G's Wild Weasels
French - Daguet / Aconit

That's a great one, I love the tab. Honestly it is bugging me that I am visiting my Girlfriend in a state that does not do Halloween at goodwill because this is my favorite time of year to search. Hopefully in a few days once I am back I will have something to share.

donation2019.gif

Went to two goodwills today and made a saddening find... a pair of named ww2 officers pants which I think I traced back to a local vet whose obituary said he served with the 20th Airforce in WW2 and later Korea.  No sign of the jacket so I am afraid I am too late for it. They want $18 for the pants so I think they will stay there a while mocking me over what I missed. The only other decent thing was a ww2 dated pith helmet that had been painted pink for some reason.

donation2019.gif

Breast cancer awareness month is coming up in OCT, sounds like you're getting a jump on it!!

French - Daguet / Aconit

I hit 4 more goodwills today, it may just be because I got a late start but I think the amount of military stuff is down in my area. There aren't even many BDUs they are all the new camo with the Velcro that makes them easy to strip. That being said I did make two interesting finds oddly both are things that I swore I would never buy from a goodwill again.  The first is a navy jumper, which I have never had good luck with, but this one has an unusual shipbuilder rating on the sleeve and on the tag it looks like it has the name of the shipbuilding company in addition to the sailor's name. I think this dates to ww2 and it could be cool if I could find the company and look up it's history.1353627715_NVYshipbuilder1.jpg.cd5b3100b877cb3b1fab6ccbd1257d20.jpg468633840_Nvyshipbuilder2.jpg.da8e2bbb7551fb4232ca89b6a00faac4.jpg

My next find was an unnamed 60-70's era class A uniform. I mostly ignore these uniforms because they are rarely worth it so I do not know why I checked this one when I saw it on the rack, it was probably because it was literally the only uniform in the shop.

134534600_18thengineer1.jpg.37af10ba96f8a6853984721f08063258.jpg

I thought my eyes would pop out when I saw that the combat patch that was hidden on the other sleeve was a really nice theater made 18th engineer Brigade patch. I do not really know value but I figure it probably isn't worth much but since I always have a tough time finding any decent Vietnam era stuff and this is only my second in country patch I figure it is worth the $5. I'm thinking of restoring the ribbon bar to make a nice display of it. 

208291384_18thengineer1.2.jpg.5c53ec7b33445696e4407b1744eed051.jpg

donation2019.gif

On 9/28/2020 at 3:37 PM, easterneagle87 said:

Breast cancer awareness month is coming up in OCT, sounds like you're getting a jump on it!!

I never thought of it that way lol,

It is also worth mentioning that I found a WW1 79th ID uniform today that had been stripped of patches and was somewhat mothed. It was clearly marked 29.99 but when I tried buying it the casher rang it up as 79.99 and said that I was wrong because "why would they sell a ww1 uniform for 30$". I ended up having him put it back, because it wasn't worth arguing over, but I know I was right that it was a 2 and not a 7 on the tag and the fact that he wouldn't let me see the tag after kind of confirms it. My guess is that he ended up buying it after his shift ended. I wish I had thought to take a pic of it before I went to check out but I had thought there would be more time after. 

donation2019.gif

The main Goodwill Store in Ocala had not a single Military item in their Halloween Display.  In 15 years I've seen one it was a WWI Uniform and I saw it because I observed a few people going thru a door into the back and I knew one of them so I followed him to say hello and found the store manager has a few people she asks to look and buy all militaria.  I complained to Goodwill State Corporate Office they said it would be looked into.  That was 2 years ago and it seems same condition still in play, but I'll admit I only go in once or twice a year now.  .  I have seen a few in the other Goodwill store that sells box lots, but buttons, patches are usually gone. Richard

Wanted: WWI ID'ed USMC Green Wool Uniform and ANYTHING documented to my Dad's Iwo Jima outfit: 21st Marines 3rd Div.

Items marked "Marquet, Marquett, or Marquette"

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

2017-donor-medallion.gif

Not really a Goodwill but a thrift store that sells a lot of 'costumes'  for Halloween they get during the year for the season.  Was told that this was 'made' to look like a US military uniform for a school play most likely! Well, the pants do have a tag that says 'Regulation Army Officers Trousers' so maybe it is the real deal?!?!   HA! What they don't know is our gain. Nice, in-country made CBI and USAAFHQ patches and a nice set of wings! This year is starting to be a goldmine at the thrift/Goodwill stores in my area! But now the word is out! At least I managed to find these!

30 sept finds14.jpg

30 sept finds16.jpg

30 sept finds15.jpg

30 sept finds17.jpg

30 sept finds18.jpg

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

35 minutes ago, lamarhooten said:

N

Wow way to one up my theater made patch. lol That looks like an amazing set, hopefully named so you can research it? Save some luck for the rest of us!

donation2019.gif

The theater engineer and WW2 CBI uni are both great finds! Congrats!  They're still out there! Keep the pics and stories coming!

PS, I agree with you about GW, their people cherry pick. I went the day after Halloween one year and all of the stuff, instead of 50% OFF, WAS BOXED UP AND SHIPPED BACK TO BE WHAREHOUSED FOR ANOTHER YEAR. I complained too, but it fell on deaf ears. 

French - Daguet / Aconit

14 hours ago, Ray42 said:

Wow way to one up my theater made patch. lol That looks like an amazing set, hopefully named so you can research it? Save some luck for the rest of us!

Never trying to out shine another collector! More like I am trying to show what is still out there if folks look. There are a few places I go to that other old time collectors say they would not be caught near, dead or alive! Their loss and the hobbies too! Hate to have some kid ( or older fool!) get a nice uniform and ruin it for or because of the history of it or what they think it represents. I will show off my patches now and then thou! This is no race we are doing here. We are all just caretakers of it while we are around to enjoy it. KEEEP HUNTING!!

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

8 hours ago, lamarhooten said:

Never trying to out shine another collector! More like I am trying to show what is still out there if folks look. There are a few places I go to that other old time collectors say they would not be caught near, dead or alive! Their loss and the hobbies too! Hate to have some kid ( or older fool!) get a nice uniform and ruin it for or because of the history of it or what they think it represents. I will show off my patches now and then thou! This is no race we are doing here. We are all just caretakers of it while we are around to enjoy it. KEEEP HUNTING!!

I hope it was clear that I was joking just joking because you followed my theater made patch with one of your own, I loved seeing such a great CBI uniform. I agree it is always nice to find something great and feel like you are saving it from a horrible fate of misuse. 

Is the uniform named by any chance? A lot of times I have found Goodwill finds easy to research because you can just search the local obituaries and get lucky. 

donation2019.gif

I think I found a ww2 enlisted visor this morning. I am only guessing on the period really, it could be more modern for all I know because the EGA looks more modern to me but I am not an expert and have not handled a visor of the era to know the difference between ww2 and korea. 

image.png

donation2019.gif

On 9/30/2020 at 12:45 AM, lamarhooten said:

Not really a Goodwill but a thrift store that sells a lot of 'costumes'  for Halloween they get during the year for the season.  Was told that this was 'made' to look like a US military uniform for a school play most likely! Well, the pants do have a tag that says 'Regulation Army Officers Trousers' so maybe it is the real deal?!?!   HA! What they don't know is our gain. Nice, in-country made CBI and USAAFHQ patches and a nice set of wings! This year is starting to be a goldmine at the thrift/Goodwill stores in my area! But now the word is out! At least I managed to find these!

30 sept finds14.jpg

What a gem!  That’s a nice catch and one to be proud of. You’ve inspired me to take a ride on down to the GW and a few thrift shops!  Thanks for posting. 

R. Patterson

Boatswains Mate

USCG 1998-2010

Interested in-

WWII USAAF items with emphasis on PTO, flight and survival gear, and headgear AND US COAST GUARD items from all eras AND US ARMY 4th Battallion, 77th Aerial Rocket Artillery ARA, 101st Airborne, Vietnam AND WWII US NAVY items. 
(I like other stuff too, especially hats.)

4 minutes ago, TheCrustyBosun said:
On 9/30/2020 at 12:45 AM, lamarhooten said:

30 sept finds14.jpg

What a gem!  That’s a nice catch and one to be proud of. You’ve inspired me to take a ride on down to the GW and a few thrift shops!  Thanks for posting. 

Expand  

Let’s try again.....

What a gem!  That’s a nice catch and one to be proud of. You’ve inspired me to take a ride on down to the GW and a few thrift shops!  Thanks for posting. 

R. Patterson

Boatswains Mate

USCG 1998-2010

Interested in-

WWII USAAF items with emphasis on PTO, flight and survival gear, and headgear AND US COAST GUARD items from all eras AND US ARMY 4th Battallion, 77th Aerial Rocket Artillery ARA, 101st Airborne, Vietnam AND WWII US NAVY items. 

Wait goodwill sets up a specific "halloween display"? I've never seen that at my goodwills. I go around this time every year, and plan on going this saturday, but have never found anything. Should I ask an employee if they have any military items or "costume items"?

Hunt

I am an amateur collector of US military items of the 20th century.

Looking for items related to:

-The Aleutian Island Campaign of WW2, Alaskan Theater, Alaska Defense Command, and more specifically the Battle of Attu

-Items related to the 50th Combat Engineer Regiment/Battalion

-Items related to Wheelus Air Force Base Libya, particularly from 1957-1960

-WW2 items belonging to service members from Northern Virginia

-WW2 Uniforms (all branches and services)

-Cheap/Throwaway WW2 named uniforms

-Smaller WW2 Groupings

-7th Infantry Division Items

-WW2 Photos and Letters (all branches, theaters, services, etc)

^^ PM ME!!

Instagram: @surplus_central https://instagram.com/surplus_central/

eBay: http://www.ebay.com/usr/giovachm

1 hour ago, huntssurplus said:

Wait goodwill sets up a specific "halloween display"? I've never seen that at my goodwills. I go around this time every year, and plan on going this saturday, but have never found anything. Should I ask an employee if they have any military items or "costume items"?

Hunt

Never hurts to ask.

French - Daguet / Aconit

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else have any good finds? I haven't been able to get out much this last week but I did find one neat uniform. A "George Washington Costume" according to the tag, but it turned out to be a Marine dress blue jacket that have seen quite a bit of wear.  There is no name that I can find yet, but there is the ghost of a 1st Marine Division on the shoulder. Too bad it and the ega were removed.

Goodwill 1st Div.jpg

goodwill 1st div1.jpg

donation2019.gif

Sad story from my area. Goodwill apparently doesn’t take military clothing. I looked through their “Halloween” section just to be sure. Nothing. Called a couple of thrift shops and haven’t heard back. Called one place with the word “pickers” in their name. They said they get stuff from time to time, but they give off a more expensive vibe. I’m looking though. 

R. Patterson

Boatswains Mate

USCG 1998-2010

Interested in-

I’ve spent the last hour talking to various thrift shops and multiple GW locations in my area. That’s 10 thrift shops and 4 GW’s to be exact. My question to them was if they accepted military uniform items.  The thrift shops say they don’t stock military uniform items and if they receive them, they give them to the local VFW posts. Good Will says it is against policy for them to accept such items. Calling the VFW posts is no problem for me as I am a veteran of a foreign war. My question to them is what they do when or if they receive uniform items.  I would hope that they try to place them in museums or posts wishing to establish or add to their displays rather than throw them away or destroy them. So, if you’re in Connecticut, you may have to look harder. One of my co-workers at the FD is a part-time picker/dealer. I’ve asked him to keep his eyes open in the future for me. Fingers crossed. 

R. Patterson

Boatswains Mate

USCG 1998-2010

Interested in-

GW may say that, but they do. Check their "cloned" ebay site for such things. www.shopgoodwill.com.

There's not as much uniform stuff as there used to be, maybe it's been funneled to "Halloween" racks else where.  

There's a decent PH grouping on there right now. 

French - Daguet / Aconit