Atomic Bomb POW Purple Heart.

tdogchristy90

As an FSU graduate, I work with the WW2 Collection at FSU from time to time. I had the privilege to work with their PH’s and dig into their stories.

Due to the historical significance of this particular Heart, I thought I’d share it. Thanks to the FSU WW2 collection...

James M. Ryan was born February 3, 1925 to Thomas and Marion Ryan of Binghamton, New York. Ryan was one of three brothers who all served in the United States Armed Services during World War Two. He enlisted in the United States Army on February 26, 1943 and became a crew member on a B-24 bomber as one of the final replacement crews for the 494th Bombardment Group, 866th Bomber Squadron, 7th Air Force. As part of this replacement crew, Ryan was sent to the Pacific Theater in April 1945.

After flying a few training missions in the Carolina Islands of the South Pacific, Ryan and his crew were transported to the Yontan Airfield on Okinawa. Once on Okinawa, the bombers could target mainland Japan. The 494th Bombardment Group became the first B-24s to fly bombing missions against the Japanese Islands on July 5, 1945.

Crew 42B, the designation given to Ryan’s replacement crew, flew their first B-24 bombing mission on July 17, 1945, targeting Chang Wan airfield in Shanghai, China. For their second mission, Crew 42B attacked the Japanese Battleship Haruna near Kure Harbor, Hiroshima, Japan. On July 28, 1945, Ryan, as bombardier, along with the rest of his crew, climbed into the B-24 44-40680 nicknamed “Lonesome Lady.”

Over 30 B-24s took off from Yontan Airfield, Okinawa on July 28, 1945 and headed for Kure Harbor to attack the Japanese Battleship Haruna. As they approached the harbor, they spotted the Japanese battleship and released their bombs on target. Anti-aircraft defenses opened up on the formation and flak tore into the Lonesome Lady. Cartwright, the pilot, lost control of the aircraft as one of its engines caught on fire.

The crew of Lonesome Lady was told to bail out as the aircraft crashed into a field near Ikachi, Japan. After bailing out of the aircraft, most of the crew, including Ryan, were rounded up and sent to Chugoku Military Police Headquarters and held as Prisoners of War. Chugoku Military Police Headquarters was roughly 1,300 feet away from the epicenter of the atomic blast.

Bombardier-2nd Lt. James M. Ryan, a Prisoner of War in Hiroshima, was killed in the atomic blast on August 6, 1945. He was 20 years old and is buried with some of his fellow crew members at Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery, St. Louis, Missouri.

Pilot-2nd Lt. Thomas C. Cartwright - POW of the Japanese, survived the war, died in 2015.

Co-Pilot-2nd Lt. Durden W. Looper - POW, killed in the atomic blast, August 6, 1945.

Navigator-2nd Lt. Roy M. Pedersen, Jr.-KIA, killed when his chute failed to open, July 28, 1945.

Radio Operator-Sgt. Hugh H. Atkinson - POW, killed in the atomic blast, August 6, 1945.

Tail Gunner-SSgt. William E. Abel - POW of the Japanese, survived the war, died in 2006.

Engineer-Sgt. Buford J. Ellison - POW, killed in the atomic blast, August 6, 1945.

Nose Turret-Cpl. John A. Long, Jr. - POW, killed in the atomic blast, August 6, 1945.

Ball Turret Gunner-SSgt. Ralph J. Neal - POW, died from radiation poisoning, August 19, 1945.

BE4C838A-6202-4F25-A3DD-D92ABF6E769A.jpeg

53ED3514-BEAC-4B74-84B6-22FAE1E0A944.jpeg

54186B9F-5BEF-49DD-843C-445DDD4CABD0.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

I don't really have much to add beyond what has already been said, but I have to say even as a UF grad I am happy to see FSU taking care of important stories like James Ryan. Even a Gator in this case will say Go Seminoles! 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Trapper1873
On 9/22/2020 at 1:16 PM, tdogchristy90 said:

As an FSU graduate, I work with the WW2 Collection at FSU from time to time. I had the privilege to work with their PH’s and dig into their stories.

Due to the historical significance of this particular Heart, I thought I’d share it. Thanks to the FSU WW2 collection...

James M. Ryan was born February 3, 1925 to Thomas and Marion Ryan of Binghamton, New York. Ryan was one of three brothers who all served in the United States Armed Services during World War Two. He enlisted in the United States Army on February 26, 1943 and became a crew member on a B-24 bomber as one of the final replacement crews for the 494th Bombardment Group, 866th Bomber Squadron, 7th Air Force. As part of this replacement crew, Ryan was sent to the Pacific Theater in April 1945.

After flying a few training missions in the Carolina Islands of the South Pacific, Ryan and his crew were transported to the Yontan Airfield on Okinawa. Once on Okinawa, the bombers could target mainland Japan. The 494th Bombardment Group became the first B-24s to fly bombing missions against the Japanese Islands on July 5, 1945.

Crew 42B, the designation given to Ryan’s replacement crew, flew their first B-24 bombing mission on July 17, 1945, targeting Chang Wan airfield in Shanghai, China. For their second mission, Crew 42B attacked the Japanese Battleship Haruna near Kure Harbor, Hiroshima, Japan. On July 28, 1945, Ryan, as bombardier, along with the rest of his crew, climbed into the B-24 44-40680 nicknamed “Lonesome Lady.”

Over 30 B-24s took off from Yontan Airfield, Okinawa on July 28, 1945 and headed for Kure Harbor to attack the Japanese Battleship Haruna. As they approached the harbor, they spotted the Japanese battleship and released their bombs on target. Anti-aircraft defenses opened up on the formation and flak tore into the Lonesome Lady. Cartwright, the pilot, lost control of the aircraft as one of its engines caught on fire.

The crew of Lonesome Lady was told to bail out as the aircraft crashed into a field near Ikachi, Japan. After bailing out of the aircraft, most of the crew, including Ryan, were rounded up and sent to Chugoku Military Police Headquarters and held as Prisoners of War. Chugoku Military Police Headquarters was roughly 1,300 feet away from the epicenter of the atomic blast.

Bombardier-2nd Lt. James M. Ryan, a Prisoner of War in Hiroshima, was killed in the atomic blast on August 6, 1945. He was 20 years old and is buried with some of his fellow crew members at Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery, St. Louis, Missouri.

Pilot-2nd Lt. Thomas C. Cartwright - POW of the Japanese, survived the war, died in 2015.

Co-Pilot-2nd Lt. Durden W. Looper - POW, killed in the atomic blast, August 6, 1945.

Navigator-2nd Lt. Roy M. Pedersen, Jr.-KIA, killed when his chute failed to open, July 28, 1945.

Radio Operator-Sgt. Hugh H. Atkinson - POW, killed in the atomic blast, August 6, 1945.

Tail Gunner-SSgt. William E. Abel - POW of the Japanese, survived the war, died in 2006.

Engineer-Sgt. Buford J. Ellison - POW, killed in the atomic blast, August 6, 1945.

Nose Turret-Cpl. John A. Long, Jr. - POW, killed in the atomic blast, August 6, 1945.

Ball Turret Gunner-SSgt. Ralph J. Neal - POW, died from radiation poisoning, August 19, 1945.

BE4C838A-6202-4F25-A3DD-D92ABF6E769A.jpeg

53ED3514-BEAC-4B74-84B6-22FAE1E0A944.jpeg

54186B9F-5BEF-49DD-843C-445DDD4CABD0.jpeg

Wow wow wow. What a great piece of history. 

• 3 months later...
On 10/15/2020 at 8:49 PM, Timberwolf said:

What an incredible rare and poignant heart. Never knew about this, thanks for sharing for all to see!

Indeed. This is yet another example of the tragedy of war.

tdogchristy90
26 minutes ago, manayunkman said:

I too never knew this.

Why do they have a collection of PHs at FSU?

It’s not just PHs, but a general archive. I just gravitated towards the KIA guys while working on a memorial project for the archive. It’s part of the archive at FSU.

tdogchristy90
16 minutes ago, manayunkman said:

How many KIA hearts do they have?

Of the ones I was able to dig up for the project, about a dozen. 

manayunkman

That’s amazing that these items were given to the University.

Im glad you are able to share this extremely rare piece.

Have fun. 

Thanks for sharing! I believe there was a documentary made a couple years ago about the 12 Americans killed in Hiroshima. "Paper Lanterns" I think was the name of it.

militariaone

Here is a picture of the crew of the Lonesome Lady. From ancestry.com. James is standing on the far left side. Crews' names can be read where handwritten.

Best,

V/r Lance

James Ryan and crew of Lonesome Lady.jpg

• 2 months later...