Civil War Images

Here is my favorite tintype.

picture-cut-out.jpg

dog-and-cap.jpg

group.jpg

named-artillery-medal.jpg

name.jpg

Here is Private George Knight Edwards story.

United States Army

Company G, First Massachusetts Volunteer Heavy Artillery

Civil War: Defense of Washington D.C.

George K. Edwards was born in Belfast, Maine in 1836. He was living in Marblehead, Massachusetts, and his trade was listed as a carpenter when he enlisted into Company G, 1st Massachusetts Heavy Artillery Regiment on December 20, 1861. During the spring and summer of 1862 the regiment was employed in the defenses of Washington D.C.  As a part of the command of General James S. Wadsworth the Regiment garrisoned forts and strengthened fortifications around Washington. At Fort Craig, Virginia Edwards was mustered out of the regiment for physical disability on March 3, 1863. George K. Edwards enlisted in Company G, U.S. Veteran Reserve Corps 13th Infantry Regiment on August 24, 1864. The Veteran Reserve Corps of the Civil War period was created to make suitable use in a military or semi-military capacity of soldiers who had been rendered unfit for active field service on account of wounds or disease contracted in line of duty, but who were still fit for garrison or other light duty, and were, in the opinion of their commanding officers, meritorious and deserving. Edwards was mustered out for disability on February 5, 1865. After the Civil War Edwards was a member of the Grand Army of the Republic and lived and worked in Marblehead, Massachusetts as a house carpenter into his 80’s.

• 4 weeks later...

Corporal Joseph Taverner Fudge of Covington, VA. Enlisted in the Alleghany Roughs (Company A, 27th Virginia Infantry) in 1861 and Fought in First Battle of Bulls Run. The Alleghany Roughs were with Stonewall Jackson and among the men referred to "Standing there like a Stone Wall." Company A converted to an artillery unit in November 1861 as the Alleghany Artillery or Carpenter's Battery, Stonewall Brigade.  Joseph Fudge would have fought at:

1st Battle of Bull's Run,

Seven Days,

White Oak Swamp, 

Malvern Hill,

Cedar Mountain,

Cunningham's Ford

2nd Bull Run

Antietam

Fredericksburg,

Chancellorsville,

Gettysburg:

Army of Northern Virginia
Ewell’s Corps Johnson’s Division
Latimer’s Battalion 

Carpenter’s Battery

The Alleghany Artillery
Two Napoleons Two 3 Inch Rifles

July 2. The Battery took a prominent part in the cannonade against the Union artillery on East Cemetery Hill and other points which began about 4 P. M. and continued over two hours. Some of the Union guns on the left enfiladed the Battalion and caused the Battery to suffer severely and having exhausted its ammunition it was ordered to withdraw.

July 3. Remained in reserve and not engaged.

July 4. Withdrew from the field with the Battalion.

Losses Killed 5 Wounded 24 Horses killed 9

Wilderness,

Spotsylvania

Cold Harbor,

Joseph Fudge served from April 1861 until he was elected County Clerk of Alleghany County in February 1864 and was discharged from service. He had three brothers that served with him. One was killed at Wade's Depot in 1864. Each of the brothers including Joseph was wounded more than once. Joseph Fudge was severely wounded at Fredericksburg and would be in hospital until February 1863. He was later slightly wounded during the Mine Run Campaign in late 1863.

civil war artillery photo thought to be joseph fudge 001 (2).jpg

Not a strictly Civil War photo since it was probably a few years before or after but this is an original CDV Joseph Fudge had of his Captain John C Carpenter, Commanding Officer of Carpenter's Battery after his brother Joseph was mortally wounded at Cedar Mountain. 

John C Carpenter 001.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Fed soldier packed up and ready to go.

Hoping to revive this post and see some other nice CW images. Post away!

Rob

(Always looking for Rebs and any unique images!)

IMG_5635.jpeg

USCapturephotos
11 hours ago, ramram said:

Fed soldier packed up and ready to go.

Hoping to revive this post and see some other nice CW images. Post away!

Rob

(Always looking for Rebs and any unique images!)

IMG_5635.jpeg

Outdoor images like this are always my favorite. Thanks for sharing him with us Rob.

Paul

triplecanopy

SCN_0007.jpg.28ce79d8149a74b21f5e07dfe008abfc.jpg

This is William Washington Cavender

Confederate Soldier

William Washington (W.W.) Cavender was my great grandfather. He was born 20 August 1840 in Coweta County Georgia; one of seven children to parents: Obadiah Colee Cavender and his wife Francis Lee Tuggle Cavender.

He was 20 years old when he enlisted in the Army of the Confederate States of America in Atlanta, Georgia in May 1861. While in Atlanta, as many soldiers did, he had his photograph taken.  It showed him with steel in his eyes, pointing a pistol at the camera while holding another ready for action in a holster at his side. He was assigned as a Private to Company A, 7th Regiment, Georgia Volunteer Infantry on 31 May 1861.  His unit was moved from Georgia by railroad in July 1861 to defend Manassas Junction, Virginia during the first historic use of steam-powered locomotives to transport military forces to battle.   The 7th and 8th Georgia Regiments arrived on 20 July 1861 and were attached to General Barnard E. Bee of South Carolina.  Pvt. W.W. Cavender fought in the 1st Battle of Manassas (Bull Run), Virginia on Sunday 21 July 1861 during the Confederate advance west of the stone bridge that crossed Bull Run Creek.  Close to the Warrenton Turnpike and near Lewis Ford, he was seriously wounded in the head by a shell fragment and was evacuated to a field hospital. Surgeons placed a plate probably made from a silver coin in his skull to repair the wound.  It was described as ‘a cool spot in his scalp’ for the rest of his life. He completed his first enlistment and was discharged on 1 March 1862. After a short recuperation, he enlisted again as a Private in Company K, 1st Regiment, Georgia Cavalry on 1 May 1862 in Cartersville, Georgia and served gallantly with that unit throughout the remainder of the war. He also served on General Morrison’s personal staff. It was reported that he was a crack shot with a pistol and skilled with a saber.

He was made a Sergeant in Captain North’s Company of the First Regiment of the Georgia Cavalry, and was discharged at the end of the war in Salsbury, North Carolina. Major John W. Trent of the First Georgia Cavalry, under whom William W. Cavender served, said "A more daring, active, indefatigable soldier, I never met in the 1,500 days I was in the service. He was always ready, reliable and competent. Nothing daunted him, nothing long stood in his way. An excellent shot and an expert sabreur, he sat a horse with grace of a cavalier of old”.

Twice captured by Union Forces and twice escaped, he was present at the last recorded roll call.  My mother told me several stories passed on from her grandfather to her father and thence to her. One story was how W.W. escaped his Union captors. Yankee guards on a wide riverbank held him and an unknown companion as the sun was setting.  It was in the fall of the year and firewood was required for warmth. The Confederate prisoners were placed near the firewood pile after they gathered the wood. W.W. observed the lack of attention that the sleepy guards exhibited and after darkness kicked a chunk of firewood in the nearby river making a splashing sound. The guards hardly noticed. He did this act repeatedly until the guards were lulled into a sense of routine and then he kicked his companion into the river. After that he soon followed and thus escaped down the cold river and made it back to Confederate lines. Another time he escaped capture was while spying at a Union headquarters. He wore a Yankee officer’s uniform over his Confederate garb and entered a tent where the plans for the next day were being discussed. He was there long enough to hear the plan, but was spotted because he was unknown to the Northern Officers. Whisked outside for interrogation, he quickly broke away, mounted a horse and rode off giving a rebel yell.  The Yankees yelled back to him, “Well done, Rebel!”

The following is a brief sketch of Company K First Georgia Cavalry as reported in the Newnan Herald, Newnan, Georgia on Friday 6 January 1928:

“Captain Henry A. North, one of the most gallant officers of the Confederate Army, commanded Company K, First Regiment of Georgia Cavalry, one of the bravest companies that volunteered from Georgia. This company was organized in Coweta County and was mustered into the Confederate States Army at Cartersville, Georgia on 1 May 1862. Without many having previous military training, they marched to the front and fought against such superior numbers with a courage that has rendered the Southern soldiers famous all over the world. This company was under fire of Yankee guns three hundred and four times, including picket fighting, skirmishes, sharp shooting and general battles from May 1862 until May 1865. The number of miles the company traveled during that time would take them across the continent. Christian modesty prevents the recording of the enemy killed and taken prisoner by this company. Seaborn J. Cavender, W.W.’s younger brother born in April 1846, was credited for killing more Yankees than any other sharpshooter in the Confederate Army. They swam all the rivers between Richmond, Kentucky and Atlanta, Georgia; all between Atlanta and Savannah; all between Savannah and Greensboro, N.C.; and all between Greensboro and Coweta. For gallantry in the field, this company received the compliments of Generals Nathan Bedford Forrest, Morgan, Pegram, Hardee, Hoad, Kirby Smith, Joseph E. Johnston, Allen, Will T. Martin, J.J. Morrison, Cruse and Wheeler.”

Besides numerous skirmishes and picket fights, this company took an active part in the following battles as mentioned in history: Richmond, Kentucky, Bighill, Dick River, Crab Orchard, Danville, Lancaster and Somerset, Kentucky; Kingston, London, Murfreesboro, Tennessee (first and second battles), Knoxville, Tennessee, Russellville, Philadelphia, Lookout Mountain, Chattanooga, Chickamauga, Resaca, Kennesaw Mountain, Atlanta, Decatur, Monticello, and fought Sherman from Atlanta to Greensboro, North Carolina.”

General J.J. Morrison commanded the First, Second, Third, Fourth and Sixth Georgia Regiments of Cavalry with White’s Battery of Griffin, Georgia providing artillery support.

“Company K First Regiment Georgia Cavalry numbered one hundred and fifteen men. Nine men were killed in battle; twenty-one wounded; eight captured; six discharged; twenty three died while in service from reasons other than battle.”  They were hard men and served in hard times. But, no matter how tough life was, they always carried a spirit of hope and determination with them.  “It was reflected that a soldier from this unit stood in the snow while on watch during the cold winter campaign in Kentucky with an old alpaca coat and nankeen cotton breeches, wearing one boot and one shoe. He had a letter in his pocket from a girl in Georgia who had promised him a pair of socks.”

W.W. (Bill) Cavender died on 6 November 1911 and is buried in Coweta  

County, near Newnan, Georgia. He was 71 years old. There is a C.S.A memorial marker  

on his grave.  

iron bender

I've got several images but all are plain jane federal soldiers. I don't think any are named, but I figure they deserve to be remembered too.

IMG_7126.jpg

4th Miss Cav

My g-g-g-g-uncle, Charles Villeret.  He was a 2nd Lt in the !st Louisiana cavalry.  He resigned his commission after Shiloh and joined the 2nd Louisiana cavalry as a private with his brother, my g-g-grandfather and fought out the rest of the war.  While in the 1st Louisiana his Captain was Ovide LeJeune who was John Archer LeJeune's father.  He is wearing a very early war blue uniform with sword and pistol.  I also have his epaulets and sword with his initials engraved on it.  They were from Pointe Coupee Parish, Louisiana.

CW102.jpg

CW101.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
4th Miss Cav

My g-g-grandfather, Irvin Christopher Reeder and my g-g-grandmother Anna Maria Fulton Reeder.  He was from McLeansboro, IL and she was originally from Gallia OH.  He was in the 6th Illinois Cavalry Co B. They operated in Tennesse, Alabama, and Mississippi. His brother was also in the same cavalry regiment and was killed in Alabama.  In later life he became a judge in McLeansboro and he and his wife are both buried there.  Ironically his son around 1915 moved to Vicksburg MS where my grandmother was born.  She gave me this image right before her passing in 1981.

CW103.jpg

USCapturephotos

I finally got around to taking a few pics of some images in my collection. First up is this 1/9th plate ambrotype believed to be a member of the 1st South Carolina Infantry, Co. A, "Richland Rifles". I just found him at a flea market this summer piled with a bunch of civilian images. I remembered seeing this style of jacket before, and with some help narrowed it down to this specific company that has a long history in the South Carolina militia going back to the War of 1812. Ron Field, a known expert on South Carolina images helped me to narrow it down to this specific company.

IMG_8574.JPEG

IMG_8573.JPEG

USCapturephotos

Next up is one of my favorite Confederate cdvs of an unknown Louisiana officer wearing a two piece tongue and wreath Louisiana buckle. I would love to have an ID.

Paul

IMG_2835.jpg

IMG_2837.jpg

IMG_2836.jpg

7 minutes ago, USCapturephotos said:

Next up is one of my favorite Confederate cdvs of an unknown Louisiana officer wearing a two piece tongue and wreath Louisiana buckle. I would love to have an ID.

Paul

Those are killer images Paul

Rob

USCapturephotos

I had 7 ancestors that fought in the Union Army from New Jersey and Pennsylvania. My grandmother remembered talking to her Civil War veteran relatives when she was a little girl in the early 1900's. She shared those stories with me when I was a boy in the 1970's and 80's and that led to my life long passion for history. My great great grandfather Joseph Stewart, served in Co. A of the 12th NJ Vols in the famous Union 2nd Corps. I have a collection of images, letters and other items that I have picked up from the 12th through the years.

At any rate, here are two with really interesting stories. 

First is Lieutenant James Stratton a member of Company F and K of the 12th killed at the Battle of Ream's Station (Petersburg campaign) on August 25th, 1864. His family eventually retrieved his body and had it returned to his home in Mullica Hill, New Jersey where his grave can be seen today. 

The printed story is taken from History of the Men of Co. F. Marches and Battles of the 12th New Jersey Vols.

IMG_2839.jpg

IMG_2840.jpg

IMG_2843.jpg

IMG_2844.jpg

USCapturephotos

Here is a view of another famous officer with the 12th, Hamilton Mattison of Co. H. He was promoted several times becoming a Major. He was wounded several times at Chancellorsville and the Battle of the Wilderness where he was also captured and sent to Columbia, South Carolina. After being a prisoner for 9 months he escaped and headed South to try and get into Sherman's lines in Georgia and was successful at doing this. This view has no back mark and is the only one that I have seen of him holding a cane so I believe this was taken after he made it back into Union lines. The account of his escape is also from the same book that I referenced above.

IMG_2841.jpg

IMG_2842.jpg