Civil War Images

5 hours ago, USCapturephotos said:

Yes mikie! And not to be overly dramatic but the other soldier really appears to have that "thousand yard stare" if you ask me. Thanks for commenting.

Paul

I've seen that look a lot...the man's exhausted and has stopped caring if he makes it out anymore, just so long as it ends

I recently picked up this real photo postcard copy of a Civil War image - it is not identified, but the soldier in the picture is wearing the distinctive belt plate used by the 1st Rhode Island Infantry, a three month unit that fought at 1st Bull Run.

Rhode Island 2.jpg

Rhode Island 4.jpg

USCapturephotos

Nice images. Thanks for sharing Brig and Champion. Champion, I don't believe I have ever seen a circular plate with that style of star before. I have seen a square sword belt plate with that style of star that was (I believe) associated with the Maine militia. Thanks for showing that.

Paul

I’ve been enjoying seeing all these amazing images! It would be hard to pick a favorite. Each one has character with unique content! Here are the only two that I own. They’re not as outstanding as the ones that have been shared so far but I like having a couple of common soldier images with my collection. One image is quite dark and needs to be looked at in certain angles to see more clearly. I like that the soldier is in full battle kit. The other is simple but he has the linen strap for his canteen visible and he’s holding a pair of spectacles (a little hard to make out). I’ll look forward to seeing more great images!

Frank 

84D69F17-60DA-4778-8EB5-741E02B77957.jpeg

729C878F-D1E5-4BCD-AA32-8D88B354F967.jpeg

7E017CD9-2469-4747-BDDD-FB79374532EB.jpeg

Great images. Thanks to all for posting. It’s nice to see , civil war being my focus. I’ve previously posted this group ,but I think it works ok here, it’s rare because it’s I.D.ed and the badge he’s wearing accompanies the image. 

1BB26DFD-E419-4A1F-B9DA-9A91274F7D8F.jpeg.c3ccac6971631c7837ce97e54203ebf3.jpegD9B6F39F-9AD0-4DB5-BE39-B4A1AAD3665F.jpeg.0957960a71139b0609cd4a7416b9c35c.jpeg2D42802A-4130-4B76-AF03-832225C2784D.jpeg.3052d25a55cac85bdfa822b57bcb9eb7.jpeg

USCapturephotos

Mike...you inscribed badge collection never ceases to amaze! Awesome seeing those pieces still together. What a beautifully done ID badge.

Paul

USCapturephotos

Hey M24. Thanks for sharing those with us. In the full standing view, you may be able to identify roughly where that image was taken as that backdrop with the flower urn is unusual. It reminds me of some of the Southern photographer backdrops that I have seen. You may want to contact Ron Coddington, who runs Military Image magazine as he may know. He's a great guy too. I don't believe he is on this forum.

Paul

Here is one that I have with a nice corps badge:

Mike, sorry you are out of the Corps Badge image collecting-- you were my best corps badge image customer!

Scott

corp1.jpg

corp.jpg

Real photo postcard copy of a Civil war image that is identified as "S. Jenkins, at Upton Hill, Va., in December 1862." The postcard also has "Kelly Corner, N.Y." written in pencil on the back. I believe this is Corporal Samuel Jenkins who served in Company G, 144th New York Infantry. He was from Kelly's Corner, New York, and enlisted on August 22, 1862, as corporal, and was promoted to sergeant on April 1, 1865. The 144th New York was stationed at Upton Hill during the winter of 1862. He mustered out with his regiment at Hilton Head, South Carolina, June 25, 1865.

Jenkins 1.jpg

Believe I posted this a while ago in another part of the forum.

It is a quarter plate of a cavalry drummer.  I don't own it any more.

Scott

cavdrum.jpeg

WOW ! These images all make me want to start collecting photos again Marines, pals eating, corps badges and a 1/4 plate mounted drummer. Every image in this post is neat, it makes civil war alive in the present and shows us the individuals. Thanks again to one and all. This is a real pleasure to watch.  Mike

This is the latest addition to my collection, a real photo postcard copy of an image of Hamlin F. Eaton, who served in the 4th Maine Light Artillery. He enlisted in the battery as 2nd Lieutenant on December 21, 1861, and served until January 14, 1863, when he was discharged for disability. During his time with the 4th Maine, the battery fought in the battles of Cedar Mountain, Groveton, 2nd Manassas, and Antietam. After the war ended Eaton moved to South Dakota, where he became a very prosperous cattle rancher. He was a member of Burnside Post #24, Grand Army of the Republic, and at one time served as its commander

Eaton 1.jpg

Cabinet card of Joseph Liddick wearing his Grand Army of the Republic uniform. He served in Company C, 77th Pennsylvania Infantry. He was a member of J. F. Hartranft Post #58 in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. I found a newspaper article that said he was a member of the Post 58 “Firing Squad” that served as a ceremonial detail for funerals and other post functions.

Liddick 1.jpg

USCapturephotos
On 9/25/2020 at 6:41 AM, Championhilz said:

Real photo postcard copy of a Civil war image that is identified as "S. Jenkins, at Upton Hill, Va., in December 1862." The postcard also has "Kelly Corner, N.Y." written in pencil on the back. I believe this is Corporal Samuel Jenkins who served in Company G, 144th New York Infantry. He was from Kelly's Corner, New York, and enlisted on August 22, 1862, as corporal, and was promoted to sergeant on April 1, 1865. The 144th New York was stationed at Upton Hill during the winter of 1862. He mustered out with his regiment at Hilton Head, South Carolina, June 25, 1865.

Jenkins 1.jpg

I enjoyed seeing this image as the 144th was involved in the not well known Suffolk Virginia campaign. Many years ago I had a cdv copy of a hard image of a 144th soldier who died from disease. The neat thing was that the image was taken outside in front of a tent flap. I cannot remember the soldier's name anymore and wish I still had the image to show you all.