Civil War Images

Would enjoy seeing what you might have to share in tintypes, ambrotypes, dags, cdvs, albumens.  I used to collect CW images (& diaries) but moved to WWII for about a decade but now starting to try to get back into it some.

Rob M

(Always looking for good diaries & CW images!)

Here's a confederate likely from Mississippi.  Sixth plate tintype.

IMG_9387.jpg.39893008ee4bd24bbe0468f76d1c9e56.jpg

This is a ninth plate ambrotype of a confederate armed with a Colt Root revolver.  Image has some solarization issues but great content.

IMG_9525.jpg.f8cffa1218dd4f0b8f11332cb7efbf47.jpg

This ones a ninth plate tintype of an intense early-war Union soldier.

s-l1600-18.jpg.a6bb872aa09f5582e5f49c207fb146f9.jpg

USCapturephotos

Thanks for sharing these Rob! I especially loved that first image as I enjoy seeing different details like the Confederate wishbone buckle. Like you, I collected Civil War images for a long time. I kind of strayed but have been getting back into them again lately. I may share a few from my collection later. You like diaries as well? I only have one Civil War diary, but it is killer. It was kept by a soldier with the 18th Massachusetts Volunteers and includes his time while surviving at Andersonville. It was rescued literally from the trash after an estate sale when the sellers through a box of books out in the trash. The guy I bought it from had rescued the whole box after the sale ended. Thankfully he did.

Paul

Nice images Rob. I also collected images for a while , soldiers wearing corps badges. I sold the entire collection except one. He’s a 2nd Corps private with a look that he has seen and been thru some hard times.Its also my forum photo.   Thanks for posting.  Mike

3B49777F-03CD-47B2-A695-819C1653528D.jpeg.bca42ad34aa4d7292c8ffd137a92ec53.jpeg

USCapturephotos

Like Mike, I collected corps badge images for a long time...especially of the Union 2nd Corps. Here is one of my favorites. Two pards wearing their badges...also a 1/6th plate.

IMG_3825.jpg

USCapturephotos

Here we have a wounded 6th corps soldier showing off his wounded hand. I wrote an article about this young man for Military Images...probably about 15 years ago. He was from Pa., but served with a Massachusetts regiment losing a finger from combat.

IMG_3826.jpg

USCapturephotos

The last for tonight and my most recent pick up....this image was found along with 34 other images under a bed in a house clean out. Many of the images were 6th corps related and some were from the 82nd PV. I wish I knew which regiment these two soldiers served, but both are wearing cloth 6th corps badges that appear to be red, denoting 1st Division. I've always loved Civil War images involving food and utensils. I used to have several killer tintypes with a similar theme but sold them maybe 7 or 8 years ago.

Thanks for looking!

Paul

IMG_3827.jpg

USCapturephotos
16 minutes ago, ramram said:

Great images Paul!  

Nice watermark as well. 

Rob M

Haha. I always feel bad watermarking images but have seen some of my WWII photos show up on a variety of social media sites without my permission. Looks like I forgot to do it to the one. Oh well. Thanks again for looking.

Paul

USCapturephotos

I had a chance to take a few more. Scarcely seen 11th corps badge in wear. A former owner cut the mat so you can see the badge. Only 11th corps badge image I have ever seen for sale. Nice to see him in his flannel issue shirt and braces.

Paul

IMG_3828.jpg

USCapturephotos

This drummer was from that same group I referenced earlier discovered at the house clean out. Sadly he is unidentified but the back mark is Roseberry in Alexandria, Va.

Paul

IMG_3829.jpg

19 hours ago, USCapturephotos said:

The last for tonight and my most recent pick up....this image was found along with 34 other images under a bed in a house clean out. Many of the images were 6th corps related and some were from the 82nd PV. I wish I knew which regiment these two soldiers served, but both are wearing cloth 6th corps badges that appear to be red, denoting 1st Division. I've always loved Civil War images involving food and utensils. I used to have several killer tintypes with a similar theme but sold them maybe 7 or 8 years ago.

Thanks for looking!

Paul

IMG_3827.jpg

The really remarkable thing about this image is that the soldier on the right is smiling. I may have, but can't recall seeing a Civil War soldier with a happy look on his face in one of these portraits before.  

USCapturephotos
20 minutes ago, mikie said:

The really remarkable thing about this image is that the soldier on the right is smiling. I may have, but can't recall seeing a Civil War soldier with a happy look on his face in one of these portraits before.  

Yes mikie! And not to be overly dramatic but the other soldier really appears to have that "thousand yard stare" if you ask me. Thanks for commenting.

Paul

I only have two, and both have their blemishes, but the content doesn't get much tougher to find...

US Marine private, with shako on table...

10-28-2013 07;42;22PM.jpg

US Marine identified father/son pair. Father is also a Mexican War veteran, and 8 year old son was a Marine drummer boy...

RESCAN-Thomas & William P Sweeney.jpg