Civil War Images

Man, I was just gonna say "No" but then I had to do a double-take.  I gotta admit, "it" does have some features that sure look female.

Rob M

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
albatrosdva

Lt. French Strother Bibb, Carrington's Company, Charlottesville Light Artillery, CSA. Wounded at Chancellorsville 23 May 1863 and died five days later. 

CSA casualty Lt French Bibbs 001.jpg

• 5 months later...
USCapturephotos
2 hours ago, ramram said:

Here's a quarter plate tintype of an armed cavalryman.

Rob M

IMG_4425 2.jpg

Outdoor shots like this one are my favorite type of Civil War images. I have owned a few over the years, but not as nice as this one Rob!

1 minute ago, BEAST said:

https://www.civilwarphotosleuth.com

i looked through this forum and didn’t see any mention of this site. It was being discussed on C-SPAN, and is meant as a database to identify the individuals in CW photos.

It's a nice start (photo sleuth) but imperfect.  I did manage to positively identify one of my CDV's with it though.  As the data base builds it will get even better.

Rob M

USCapturephotos
55 minutes ago, BEAST said:

https://www.civilwarphotosleuth.com

i looked through this forum and didn’t see any mention of this site. It was being discussed on C-SPAN, and is meant as a database to identify the individuals in CW photos.

I’ve wondered about it and if it’s any good. I looked at the rules to join and decided not to.

Paul

tdogchristy90

Any suggestions for putting or displaying CVDs in binders or the card style sheets? I know they are an odd dimension, asking for a friend. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm new to this forum.  thought I would share this real photo (approx 5 x 7") from a local Estate sale.  The family identified this Confederate Officer as Captain James William Clark Smith, of the 16th Alabama regiment Company H.  

IMG_2377.jpeg

IMG_2378.jpeg

66806800528__DE998F92-1648-4AA5-9096-C0F1727E0E54.jpeg

Lt. James B S Alexander, West Point Class of 1856. This photo was taken while he was a Lt in the US army ca 1860. He resigned his commission and joined the Confederate army in 1861 and died of fever before getting a chance to shoot. My favorite, failed, traitor. 

James B S Alexander West Point Class of 1856 001.jpg