Jump to content

Vietnam Flak jacket


27Division18

Recommended Posts

I am not extremely well-versed in Vietnam gear so was wondering if anyone could fill me in about this Flak jacket? Appears to be an M-1955 but I am not sure what pattern etc? I also don't see a maker or year of manufacture. Appears to be made of a kind of Nylon-like material, I would guess. Any info would be helpful;. Thanks.

Sept 21, 2020 001.JPG

Sept 21, 2020 002.JPG

Sept 21, 2020 003.JPG

Sept 21, 2020 004.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites
Concernedfuturedogface

From what I can see, you appear to have the 3rd pattern of the m1955 vest. M1955 replaced the m1952A flak vest and was used mostly by the Marine Corps. Those two vest were the most common vests used by troops before the m69 flak vest.

Hope this helps

V/r

CFD


Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Concernedfuturedogface said:

From what I can see, you appear to have the 3rd pattern of the m1955 vest. M1955 replaced the m1952A flak vest and was used mostly by the Marine Corps. Those two vest were the most common vests used by troops before the m69 flak vest.

Hope this helps

V/r

CFD


Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
 

Thanks a lot. Is it unusual for it not to have a maker or date? Does it look original to you? Thank you again.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Concernedfuturedogface

I personally wouldn't know how to date a flack vest, but as I've never seen a reproductuon of the m1955.

Also considering the second pattern was manufactured til the 1980s, it may be post-vietnam

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Link to post
Share on other sites
Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Although this is often erroneously called the "3rd pattern" by collectors they are actually damaged vests that were repaired by the 3rd Force Service Regiment in Okinawa who contracted a few Okinawan companies to do the work.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Oh and btw there are several repro makers but so far they are either honest or not good enough to pass as original.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/22/2020 at 8:31 PM, Cap Camouflage Pattern I said:

Although this is often erroneously called the "3rd pattern" by collectors they are actually damaged vests that were repaired by the 3rd Force Service Regiment in Okinawa who contracted a few Okinawan companies to do the work.

What do you mean repaired? This vest is different pattern than 1st and 2st. It is made from nylon outside. So this vest it 1 or 2 pattern repaired and re sewed in nylon coat? Hmm?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Damaged armor was shipped from RVN to 3rd FSR who salvaged undamaged ballistic nylon yokes and doron plates. They had local Okinawan companies assemble them into vests with new fabric, snaps, and zippers. Repairing the vests was around a quarter of the cost of manufacturing a vest new. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

the vest looks like it has the rifle sling keeper on both shoulders

 

was this done on the salvaged rebuild models only ?

 

i have had a number of mint ones from Korea war and vietnam, never saw sling keepers on both sides of these, only seen them on beat up vest

 

can anyone verify it was on only rebuilds ?

 

thank you

 

semper fi

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/27/2020 at 12:52 PM, Cap Camouflage Pattern I said:

Damaged armor was shipped from RVN to 3rd FSR who salvaged undamaged ballistic nylon yokes and doron plates. They had local Okinawan companies assemble them into vests with new fabric, snaps, and zippers. Repairing the vests was around a quarter of the cost of manufacturing a vest new. 

Thanks for info. that is interesting theory. I was very very long time in VN USMC subject and always was thinking that is another model of USMC flak vest...

 

Cheers,

Jerry

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.