Unusual Medal - Anyone know what it is?

Hello,

I purchased this at a local auction in California. I have no idea what it is. The bottom seems to have some damage as does the top of the crown part. I’m not sure if that’s because this is some sort of reproduction or if the metal they used in Occupied Japan was cheap and flimsy. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

79356700-B884-43FB-AB13-B2BEEA771301.jpeg

278CAD43-8D88-4320-9FAB-63FAAE8B6182.jpeg

B9805423-64FD-49D4-9B96-0FACFD85F98B.jpeg

This appears to be made for British or Scottish troops post war. I can't make out the obverse text in the photos - that would likely be your best and easiest way of identifying the piece. You might also try the world militaria forum if you don't find what you're looking for here. I also found many examples of the "Diamond T" makers mark on the reverse on brass medals, although none of the listings provided attribution. 

donation2018.gif

23 minutes ago, manayunkman said:

Looks like costume jewelry to me.

Truth is, I initially thought so, too. I actually bought it for my kids because they like to do “treasure hunts” and things of that nature. When I picked it up from the auction, that was the first time I got to read the back and realized it may actually be a legit medal. It still may not be, but I’m more intrigued by it now.

9 minutes ago, Blacksmith said:

What is the text on the ribbon, below the crest?  Hard to read.

Unfortunately, I can’t make it out either. It’s not any clearer in person than it is in the photo.

In the 1960s theJewelry CORO made costume jewelry type pieces of prominent orders and awards. As far as I am aware, no one has figured a good answer as to why this was done. This piece looks costume to me, but not made by Coro. 

California

"Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.

One died for your soul, the other for your freedom."

-Lt. Col. Grant L. Rosensteel, Jr.

USAF

''A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have.'' Gerald Ford

"Those who melt their guns into plows will plow for those who don't." Thomas Jefferson

"I live in weirdville." Owen

donation2011.gif

10 hours ago, Blacksmith said:

Looks like maybe “L E T T A C ? ?”

When I zoom in, the image starts to dither due to low resolution.  

I am pretty sure I could make that out with a better pic.

I took it on my iPhone and the image does look clearer on the phone so I suspect it’s an upload/limit on file size issue for the site.