Bad News, B-25 Old Glory Grounded

Okie96

As many times as I have thought about going on a flight in a B-17 whenever I', around Phoenix, things like this are a sobering reminder of why I shouldn't.  I'm glad the crew is going to be okay.  I'm also glad the plane wasn't a total loss but I can't imagine what it would cost to make it airworthy again, let alone cosmetically repaired for static display.

garrettbragg12
As many times as I have thought about going on a flight in a B-17 whenever I', around Phoenix, things like this are a sobering reminder of why I shouldn't.  I'm glad the crew is going to be okay.  I'm also glad the plane wasn't a total loss but I can't imagine what it would cost to make it airworthy again, let alone cosmetically repaired for static display.

As a crew member on a restored B-17: do it.

You have a better chance of dying from a car crash or a million other ways than you do riding in a B-17. And I can assure you, it’s an experience you won’t forget.

6 hours ago, garrettbragg12 said:

As a crew member on a restored B-17: do it.

You have a better chance of dying from a car crash or a million other ways than you do riding in a B-17. And I can assure you, it’s an experience you won’t forget.

Agreed...  It would be the experience of a lifetime.  The operative word was "shouldn't", leaving the possibility open.  I really want to see the world from the nose of a B-17 sometime. 

Alas, for me and those who I am responsible for, there is a line between assumed risk (eg:  I need to drive to get to work) versus unnecessary risk (like the fact I stopped various "adrenaline sports" when I got married and had a family).  For me, unfortunately, a B-17 flight falls into the latter category...  For now.  I suppose when my work is done and everyone is taken care of, I'll hitch a ride in a WW2 vintage aircraft.

That said...  If anyone has a Sherman I can take a joy ride in, I'm all ears!

Tom

garrettbragg12
Agreed...  It would be the experience of a lifetime.  The operative word was "shouldn't", leaving the possibility open.  I really want to see the world from the nose of a B-17 sometime. 

Alas, for me and those who I am responsible for, there is a line between assumed risk (eg:  I need to drive to get to work) versus unnecessary risk (like the fact I stopped various "adrenaline sports" when I got married and had a family).  For me, unfortunately, a B-17 flight falls into the latter category...  For now.  I suppose when my work is done and everyone is taken care of, I'll hitch a ride in a WW2 vintage aircraft.

That said...  If anyone has a Sherman I can take a joy ride in, I'm all ears!

Tom

Well, if you find yourself in the Houston, Texas area, I can get ya lined up for either. I crew a -17 and work with 3 shermans, a hellcat, a chafee, a Stuart, and many others.

In November you can take a cruise in our shermans for $150.

I was lucky enough to fly in "Nine-O-Nine" 5 years ago when they swung by central VA.  It was an experience I will never forget.  These warbirds do have a finite lifespan due to mishaps, part availability, expense and age.  Don't miss the opportunity.  

Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 11.31.34 AM.png