1916 1st Aero Company Collar Insignia

cwnorma

Like a lot of wing collectors, in between wing badges I often pick up other Aviation related insignia.  A fellow collector who already had an example tipped me off to this one and I was fortunate enough to add it to my collection.  The collar insignia is for an enlisted soldier in the First Aero Company:

IMG_1465.jpeg.122929ceaa9b45833ac5b56bbccdf3ef.jpeg

IMG_1466.jpeg.a589dac44b9a79f3a64799f0416d7fc9.jpeg

From Bob Schwartz excellent website:  The First National Guard Aero Company was originally called the Aviation Detachment, First Battalion, Signal Corps, National Guard, New York. It was re-designated the First Aero Company, provisionally recognized on 22 June 1916 and mustered into federal service on 13 July 1916 in anticipation of duty on the Mexican border.  On 2 November 1916, the First Aero Company was mustered out of federal service without ever having reached the border.

Some have speculated that this particular collar insignia was for Enlisted Aviators of the 1st Aero Company but I have never found any reference confirming this.  My opinion is that this speculation is based on the superficial resemblance of its design elements with those of the later Enlisted Aviator sleeve insignia.  I believe this may be coincidence but would like to know more!  If anyone has any more information on this particular insignia or the 1st Aero Company please share!

What I find particularly neat is this very short-lived insignia pre-dates the formation of the Army Air Service and is among the very first Aviation specific insignias of the US Army.

Chris

Is there a known one of these with credible provenance (or better yet, pictured in a period photo)?  In the 1960's/70's, a number ofWW1 collar disks were created for the collector market that never existed. They tended to have really "cool" designs.   One quick example I recall is the cavalry disk with a machine gun/tripod below the crossed sabers.  There were others I recall seeing way back then.   This one reminds me of one of those "creations". 

Kurt,

This particular disk is reasonably well documented (See Campbell p37 #10 and Morris p43 #C27).  Although neither of those authors have any additional information beyond what I wrote above.  I am fairly certain this disk can be found in Scipio-Patterson too but I don't have that reference handy to verify...

The disks you are referring to were re-struck from the Stokes-Kirk dies that were held for a time by the Naugatuck Novelty Company of Naugatuck, Connecticut and used to make re-strikes for sale to collectors.  I have a copy of the Naugatuck Novelty Company catalog (it shows the "cool" disks you are referencing) published for dealers that shows all their wares--this is not one of theirs.  Additionally Naugatuck used screw posts and spinners from the now defunct BA Ballou Company that were very distinctive.  Could it be from some other faker?  I guess anything is possible...

Was Campbell fooled by this disk?  Morris and Scipio too?  Could be.  None of us can know everything about the hobby.  But before I toss this one in the dust-bin, I'd like to know what convinced those gentlemen of its originality.

Best wishes

Chris

Yes.  Pictured in the classic insignia books.  But, with limited documentation about them.  Could certainly be ok - just always wondered about them.  Perhaps a period photo will one day surface.

Gents,

Thanks for your inputs.  This is a tough disc to find, and definitely aviation related but it sure is hard to find any definitive information.

Chris

• 3 weeks later...