DSC Help / Opinions

mkite93

Just picked this up cheap so it doesn’t matter either way but I would like some thoughts on this medal and if there’s any luck in narrowing down who it belonged to if it is legit. When I picked up the medal to look at it I was assuming that it was just a DSC and I was surprised to see the initials J R P on the back.  I know it’s private engraving so I would assume the recipient survived. So I’m looking if there’s a way I can narrow it down. Any help or comments are appreciated0998CBB4-68D2-4FE6-A1DF-1E83D694F8A1.jpeg.4639b5f540522ea6057b9e1ba92309be.jpeg 

That looks like nicely done, and legitimate private engraving to me. The DSC recipient lists are online, so it should be a pretty simple process of elimination to get the owner. I would start with WWII recipients.

Thanks for that so far so good then. I just looked at the wwii list and there were two recipients with the initials JRP and one of them was posthumous so I would say eliminate him and the other survived the war. Now I’ll see if I can find anything for Korea or Vietnam. B17B2E3F-7CDE-40A8-B58E-49B03D5E3C73.png.6dbc0e564c60c213e67dda2d50eec1f4.png

Thank you. So far just the one for wwii and the Korean War only has one possibility as well.  And Vietnam had none matching the initials. I will review the wwi recipients as well. 65BDAF08-B80A-4CB0-81F2-EC442F348CEC.png.0b6a7c01629a194ba5246f13763e57a4.png

I know who owns Jimmie Parsley's group and have photographed it. So, I'd count that one out unless he had a privately engraved one that was split up from the officially engraved one... 

Thanks Dave. 

That helps. So that leaves just the WWII guy unless it is a WWI replacement. I guess i will never really know for sure but it does make it neat and was a nice surprise for me. I didn’t see any other guys it could be for Korea or Vietnam and I would have to be someone who was not KIA.  

Found this article from 2010 in North Carolina where he was presented the DSC certificates. Interestingly the article mentions he never had a awards ceremony and was presented his medal in the field. So this guy is a good possibility I suppose. 59FB5531-C369-4E84-9353-D997F5A90425.png.6c46fd726ae9ac6ea827283dd000a638.png

After doing some more digging on this one I think I for sure have it. I believe this medal belonged to the 90th division soldier. Thanks to Dave for eliminating the Korean War guy. Turns out the recipient of this medal at one point lived about 14 miles away from where I bought this medal and his daughter and grandchildren still live within the county. So the coincidences have stacked up for this medal for being the only non posthumous recipient in WWIi with theses initials and living a short distance from where I purchased. Wish I knew the story of what happened and why it was separated. 

Thanks Dave 

I was very happy to find this medal and take the chance on it.  I know we cant be 100% sure it’s his but it seems very likely that it is.  Would you say this is the medal he was presented in 1945 and had it engraved at some point with his initials. It is still really neat to think that without the initials this medal like many others would have been lost to time. Also very fortunate that there were not 10 people with the same initials. 

What's interesting is that it's a Robbins contract, which would be indicative of a late war awarded example and since I can't find mention of when he actually received the medal...I'm guessing maybe March or April...(I can't find a date for the 3rd Army GO 55) there's every chance that it could have been the one awarded to him in the field. 

Found this picture of him being awarded the medal. I believe he was awarded the medal sometime in March of 1945 or close to there as guessed by Dave. He was wounded more severely in the hand in Feb of 45 and was sent to England where he was in and out of the hospital for 10 months before being discharged in Dec of 45.  F2B26E20-AD46-4A6D-8A67-44E6DA2E9DF0.jpeg.09686ef6a1ca2068acb70ca98ca840a0.jpeg

• 1 month later...