1942 Textan Holster

spagg

I don't know if a lot of these were produced in 1942 for the older Colt or S & W 1917 ACP Pistol?  You would think with the 45 ACP Auto why would someone want to carry a six shooter? Early USAAF?

IMG_1928.jpg

IMG_1929.jpg

IMG_1930.jpg

IMG_1927.jpg

I believe the government had quite a few of these that were in storage and were put back into service during WWII.

Front line troops did use the m1911a1 and secondary troops were probably issued revolvers.  Many air crews were issued .38 caliber Victory revolvers.

Great looking holster.. still has the toe plug!

8 hours ago, digi-shots said:

I believe the government had quite a few of these that were in storage and were put back into service during WWII.

Front line troops did use the m1911a1 and secondary troops were probably issued revolvers.  Many air crews were issued .38 caliber Victory revolvers.

Great looking holster.. still has the toe plug!

My WWII Victory revolver lend leased to the Britt's in 1945 with a 5" barrel fits in the Holster nicely. My 1917 Colt is just a hair tight but will fit inside. When I purchased the Holster at our local swapmeet my first thought was a repo but when I had it in hand I realized it was a good Holster.

6 hours ago, robinb said:

I've seen quite a few early ww2 photos of signal corps personnel wearing M1917 revolvers.

Were the Holster's all left hand draw or did the have a mix of left hand an right draw holsters?

7 hours ago, spagg said:

Were the Holster's all left hand draw or did the have a mix of left hand an right draw holsters?

None of them were left-hand draw.  Some were right-hand butt forward "Cavalry draw", and some were right-hand butt rearward.

Nice looking TEXTAN holster.  TEXTAN was the trade name for Texas Tanning & Manufacturing Co. located in Yoakum, Texas. 

It was intended for use with the Colt Model of 1917 and S&W Model of 1917 .45 revolvers.  It is essentially the mirror image of the Model of 1909 holster.  It was designated as the M2.  Digishots is correct that there were large numbers of these revolvers still in inventory but the holsters had in many cases worn out in the time since WW1.  Thus, the need for a new version of the M1909.   While rarely seen in frontline use (OK, Brad Pitt had one in "Fury", but we don't think that counts), the M1917 revolvers armed Military Police, railway soldiers and others behind the front lines.

Regards,

Charlie

On 9/19/2020 at 12:58 PM, Spathologist said:

None of them were left-hand draw.  Some were right-hand butt forward "Cavalry draw", and some were right-hand butt rearward.

On 9/19/2020 at 12:58 PM, Spathologist said:

This is what I'm talking about, the Textan Holster worn on the right hip, butt facing the rear using your right hand to draw. Worn on the left hip butt forward still using the right hand to draw.. The early 1917 Colt or S & W  Holster just the opposite right hip butt forward, left hip butt rear using a left hand to draw. 

44 minutes ago, spagg said:

This is what I'm talking about, the Textan Holster worn on the right hip, butt facing the rear using your right hand to draw. Worn on the left hip butt forward still using the right hand to draw.. The early 1917 Colt or S & W  Holster just the opposite right hip butt forward, left hip butt rear using a left hand to draw. 

Holsters were worn on the right side, saber/sword on the left, and revolver holsters were butt-forward.  The US Army didn't issue a butt-rear revolver holster until 1942.

My dad was 2AD and I have pictures of him wearing a revolver holster right hip, butt forward in either 1941/42.  He was not cavalry, he was in HHC, G3 to be specific. 

4 hours ago, ccyooper said:

My dad was 2AD and I have pictures of him wearing a revolver holster right hip, butt forward in either 1941/42.  He was not cavalry, he was in HHC, G3 to be specific. 

Butt-forward was all there was for revolvers until the new holsters were made in 1942.  He was probably wearing a M1909 or M1917.