A WWI Purple Heart ending to the week

mvmhm

We've received something nearly every day this week - WWI infantry manual, WWII Marine uniform, B-52 Co-pilot's steering yoke and AGM-28 Bulldog wind tunnel model,  a grouping to a 28 year- Army CW4 and a $500 donation (I told my lovely Bride that because of all this good luck, something horrible must be looming on the horizon...now I'm sure of it). Late today we received a call from a man who was concerned about what would happen to his stepfather's Purple Heart when he's gone and wanted to donate it to us.

Private Christ K. Stamas, 1918. His family immigrated to the U.S. from Greece in 1907, and he received his naturalization papers the day after receiving his draft notice. He was assigned to Company L, 357th Infantry Regiment, 90th Division in France. He was gassed on October 2nd, 1918. After the war, he relocated from Minnesota to Dayton Ohio. He was a member of the Disabled American Veterans, the Hellenic Post of the American Legion in Dayton. He died in November 1956.

IMG_20200918_195019.jpg

Bill with his stepfather's medals; Bill is also a Veteran, having served in the Army between WWII and the Korean War as an armored crewman. Bill's father died of a heart attack when he was very young, leaving his mother to fend for herself and three children. Falling on hard times, they moved to Ohio, where his mother took up clothes cleaning. One of Christ's friends saw her and told him to introduce himself and the rest was history. Bill says his stepfather was a kind and loving father to all of them in spite of the terrible things he witnessed in the war.

IMG_20200918_164637_Bokeh.jpg

If I recall correctly, the initial 1932 BB&B contract ended about 39XXX; since this is only 4,000 or so numbers off, I assume it was made in 1933/1934???

IMG_20200918_194436.jpg

IMG_20200918_194710.jpg