Where to buy Civil War sword/saber

Redleg13a

My daughter has taken a keen interest in the Civil War.  She read Killer Angels, Gods and Generals, a book on the Battle of Resaca (have an ancestor who was wounded there), watched Gettysburg, Gods and Generals and most of the way through the North and South trilogy.  Going to watch The Blue and the Gray, Glory and the PBS Ken Burns Civil War documentary series.  I was thinking about trying to find her a Civil War saber/sword but I don't know where to look and not get ripped off with a fake.  I know nothing about them.  I also don't want to spend a ton of money and it definitely doesn't need to be a museum quality piece.  Just something she can hold in her hand and hang on the wall with a connection to the Civil War. 

Most of the ones I see on Ebay are way out of my price range so if that's what they're truly going for, I'll have to do something else. 

Thanks!

While I can't help with this, that's super cool that your daughter is getting into some history! Always love hearing when someone younger is liking something historical! How old is she?

She's 14.  She is also a published author!  She wrote a short story about our ancestor, George Washington "Carter" Shields.  We thought he was in the Confederate 6th Tennessee Infantry but we recently found out he was actually in the Union 6th Tennessee Infantry, B co.  We'd always heard he was wounded at Shiloh but it turns out it was at Resaca in 1864.  She's the one who discovered the new information.  She was pretty down about it because when she wrote her story, it was with the understanding he was Confederate.  She was pretty stressed out until we told her she wrote it using the information she thought was correct at the time.  She's ok now but she was upset for awhile.

She wants to visit more battlefields now which is way cool to me.  I hope she sticks with it and it's not just a passing phase. 

Oh, if you've been to Cades Cove outside of Gatlinburg, TN, and drove the Cades Cove Loop, you would have seen Carter Shields cabin.  He bought it and lived there for several years and that's what they've named it. 

It is with levity in my voice that I say, she should be happy to be a descendant of a Union soldier, WE WON!  You should be happy too, because trying to find a true confederate sword is nearly impossible.

Check out shilohrelics.com . I've dealt with them for years and you will get a guaranteed authentic sword from owner Raphael Eledge. He has swords in all price ranges.

BILL THE PATCH
I've dealt with Gunderson Militaria for some time and always find it a pleasure. They always have a good selection of swords. Look them up on the net. 
Gunderson is right around where I live, he has fine stuff

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

As a first sword on a limited budget I would recommend a  model 1840 musician's sword. They were carried by band members during the Civil War and they are usually available from reputable dealers in the $200 to $600 range depending on whether they have a scabbard, who manufactured it, and overall condition. Both horsesoldier.com in Gettysburg and shilohrelics.com have some available on their websites right now. Dealers already mentioned by other members might also have some.

Bill the Patch: Years ago I first dealt with John Gunderson to buy a bayo for a Civil War rifle I had found locally. He always has plenty of bayos for all different longguns. Since then I've bought several items from him. I've always found his items pretty reasonably priced. I stopped at his place once when going to a fancy schmansy (however you spell that) wedding at The Sagamore. Even if I'm not buying I always enjoy shooting the breeze with him. Just a nice guy. I think he has  musician and/or NCO swords in stock.

BILL THE PATCH

Oh yes the sagamore,right on lake George. passed by it for years when working up there. And yes he has a good name around these parts. Well spoken of.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk