Never saw a Mitchell cover like this

RonnieBigR800

My recent acquisition:

A Vietnam-era M1 Helmet. Both the liner and cover have the name “McCormick” written on them. The cover is a BLIND 1970 contract; LOT: #01

What blows me away on this lid is the Marine EGA on the front. It is era correct, as the eagle does not have the banner and shows wear. The entire helmet shows signs of use as well; liner deterioration, a thin and worn away/hole ridden cover and large dents + matching liner & shell repaint. 

I’ve never seen another cover marked the same way, however, which brings me to the forum asking for help. Does anyone else have one of these in their collection and would be willing to share?

Thank you!

- Ron 

0CA0C982-EFC3-44AD-B98F-3EA76C6FC661.jpeg

09B6BEC6-2728-46C2-9ED2-BE3019C92DCB.jpeg

F4DC7168-EA44-425F-93C8-26DCAEB8E972.jpeg

021F8A65-2CA3-4CF5-818B-53B174BAAC0F.jpeg

2ED8EAB1-3369-4DC5-B9C6-7D521BC62E4F.jpeg

D31D2479-E125-4C98-8AAC-9F371A25464A.jpeg

44E1B3D5-595F-4D64-A0F4-6CBEBCAF83A0.jpeg

Just an observation, looks like EGA stamp was added later. 
cover shows honest wear with bleaching and rust stains, yes that stamp is solid without any wear. 

Maybe added after to UP the $$ on it. 

- Dean 

And it is not uncommon for vets to enhance the items that they brought home from service time by adding emblems, insignia, etc for display in their home or office.

It’s a simple iron on device that bought cheaply and maybe added at any time In it’s service life.
The question is did it pass regulations ?
Owen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 9/19/2020 at 3:27 AM, ArchangelDM said:

Just an observation, looks like EGA stamp was added later. 
cover shows honest wear with bleaching and rust stains, yes that stamp is solid without any wear. 

Maybe added after to UP the $$ on it. 

- Dean 

I've had a few people say that. I think it's more of a lighting issue on my part from using the flash on my camera. When looking at the helmet directly, it appears more worn and there are parts of the stamp missing. I'll see if I can find a picture of it with more natural lighting. Seller is an honest guy who has sold some extremely rare and nice helmets that I have seen and verified legit. Mostly WWII lids but i doubt he'd have nice WWII lids and sell fake Vietnam items haha 

20 hours ago, Bugme said:

Bear in mind also that USMC issued Mitchell covers did not have the DSA designation but carried a Marine depot number.

Screenshot_20200920-215351_Samsung Internet.jpg

Wow! I've never actually seen one like this! Is this cover a 59' issue or a 68'? And could my cover being made in 1970 have anything to do with it not being a stamped-marine issue item? Just curious, Thank you!

On 9/19/2020 at 8:26 PM, Rhscott said:

Ken Nolan Co iron on EGAs were popular into the age of digital camo. 

I did notice that, however I heard the digital age stamps usually used the eagle holding a banner. I've never actually seen another USMC stamp on a vietnam era helmet until I searched the other forums and even some reissued WWII covers/1953 contract covers had the same EGA. I believe I read somewhere else that the marines were commonly known to stamp/write on a majority of their items, so if this is legit Vietnam, it was most likely done by someone personally 

27 minutes ago, RonnieBigR800 said:

I did notice that, however I heard the digital age stamps usually used the eagle holding a banner. I've never actually seen another USMC stamp on a vietnam era helmet until I searched the other forums and even some reissued WWII covers/1953 contract covers had the same EGA. I believe I read somewhere else that the marines were commonly known to stamp/write on a majority of their items, so if this is legit Vietnam, it was most likely done by someone personally 

Stamps and heat transfer decals are no longer used. All hats and jackets come with machine embroidered EGA.  The Marine only adds matched backing name and branch tapes also machine embroidered.