Hello,

I bought this jacket a while back from Warpath (Ed Hick) but it has been flagged as fake recently. I would like to get your opinion on it as I am trying to sell the grouping to finance another item

Thanks,

Max

1964195446_BudMillerCBI.Group(10)(Large).jpg.9943b735944e2d2d0704ca6646326fb8.jpg573416076_BudMillerCBI.Group(11)(Large).jpg.4e707add13d43703667448079d5318ce.jpg508941854_BudMillerCBI.Group(12)(Large).jpg.10782b6a84214a2986154375a2a73b01.jpg20170915_082053_resized.jpg.80e0d8103eaecec035f3f200f062516a.jpg20170915_183224_resized.jpg.9aa3a815698a56794c4c09add2ee2a15.jpg116255273_BudMiller(1)(Large).jpg.c8260ad3635f761c8aa090bc252bfacb.jpg1951932782_BudMillerCBI.Group(3)(Large).jpg.1c92b024c3535881e246ec503986ec54.jpg1314046907_BudMillerCBI.Group(5)(Large).jpg.eb302c6a30657f012d063f14c7d692d2.jpg283873957_BudMillerCBI.Group(6)(Large).jpg.8ba68973c2ad2dc3bb9d40deadea5fff.jpg

WOW! Can you give us any information as to WHAT you think is fake and WHY you think it is fake? That might help us to give you a better evaluation.

With nothing to go on, here is my take- I'll start with Ed Hicks. The guy has been dealing in militaria since i was a kid and I am 55 now. I've NEVER had anyone give me any sense that Ed has knowingly sold them a fake. Let's go ahead and move forward and evaluate the A-2. The jacket has seen a lot of wear and the insignia is all consistent with what I would expect to see. I like the name tag, the leather CBI patch and the squadron patch. The blood chits sewn inside the jacket and used as pockets was a well-documented practice by aviators in the CBI. You can see how poorly the material held up, but it sure looks like it has honest wear to the jacket. 

The other items are undoubtedly originals- 2 buckle boots, flight suit, flight helmet, Mae West, etc. The officer's shirt wouldn't be faked. Are you concerned that some items have been attributed to the vet that weren't originally his? I'm interested to hear what is wrong with what I am looking at.

Allan

Never under-estimate the power of prayer.

donation2007.gif

I'm not into A-2's so I can't say that this is good or bad. It looks good to my inexperienced eye. I agree with the comment about Ed Hicks being a reputable dealer. 

I know that A-2's were made after the war and beyond but those have had a look of something recently manufactured. Most have new tags as they aren't made to fool.  Can we see the tag inside yours? 

With prices in the thousands often , I'm sure that there are questionable pieces out there. Take a real but plain jane A-2 (available and reasonable) and sew on real leather patches to a combat unit. All authentic but perhaps put together? 

Since you're selling, offer to consign at Bay State who handle and have A-2's often. Those guys are knowledgeable, they'll give you a straight opinion. 

donation2007.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif
donation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Hello,

I don't know if I should have said that I bought it from Warpath but I found fair at the time to disclose the whole story. My intention was not to fingerpoint a seller but to give a whole context.

I posted this jacket on a marketplace and received some bad reviews. No one in particular that I know of though. However, since my intention is to sell this jacket, I prefer to make sure of its originality and remove it if necessary.

Thank you for the other people who kindly responded and reassured me, it is very much appreciated

Max

7 hours ago, Allan H. said:

WOW! Can you give us any information as to WHAT you think is fake and WHY you think it is fake? That might help us to give you a better evaluation.

With nothing to go on, here is my take- I'll start with Ed Hicks. The guy has been dealing in militaria since i was a kid and I am 55 now. I've NEVER had anyone give me any sense that Ed has knowingly sold them a fake. Let's go ahead and move forward and evaluate the A-2. The jacket has seen a lot of wear and the insignia is all consistent with what I would expect to see. I like the name tag, the leather CBI patch and the squadron patch. The blood chits sewn inside the jacket and used as pockets was a well-documented practice by aviators in the CBI. You can see how poorly the material held up, but it sure looks like it has honest wear to the jacket. 

The other items are undoubtedly originals- 2 buckle boots, flight suit, flight helmet, Mae West, etc. The officer's shirt wouldn't be faked. Are you concerned that some items have been attributed to the vet that weren't originally his? I'm interested to hear what is wrong with what I am looking at.

Allan

Ditto on Ed, a great seller!

There is nothing wrong with this jacket.

The only thing I can see that is not original to the jacket are the replaced cuffs, big deal, that happens all the time with original jackets.

I think the person who is telling you it is bad is giving you the wrong information, and maybe they should be outed for giving false information.

www.vintageproductions.com

"A militaria show is a social event for anti-socials" - A.T. 2008

ASMIC Executive President

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

No comment on the jacket, but I will raise a flag on the other items offered. The flight helmet and life preserver are US Navy and the knee board I'm pretty sure is post war 50's or 60's. The leather name tag on the A-4 seems to be rotted off so who knows if it belonged to him. Other than the jacket, price out the rest of items accordingly, popularly stated on the forum "sum of parts".

Copied reprint images like what's included had always turned me off, Who the heck knows who that really is. 

So the item is listed on eBay. The seller is being told the jacket is not an original, via Ebay messages?

Sounds like a buying tactic to lowball, then come in and say they will buy it for $1800 to be used as a display.

I know nothing as to the originality of the items listed, but heck why not try to get a deal (roll eyes here.) 

Hello,

thank you for the comment and for editing the messages that were out of context.

Well noted for what regards the grouping Vs. sum of part. I will add this information to the ad

Max

On 9/18/2020 at 2:46 PM, max0073 said:

Hello,

I don't know if I should have said that I bought it from Warpath but I found fair at the time to disclose the whole story. My intention was not to fingerpoint a seller but to give a whole context.

I posted this jacket on a marketplace and received some bad reviews. No one in particular that I know of though. However, since my intention is to sell this jacket, I prefer to make sure of its originality and remove it if necessary.

Thank you for the other people who kindly responded and reassured me, it is very much appreciated

Max

Max,

I don't think there is anything wrong with mentioning who you purchased the item from. Stellar dealers appreciate the plug and the hucksters get outed if the item or grouping is not what it is represented to be. I think that you have gotten a pretty good answer from the members here- nothing wrong with the jacket and the dealer has a great reputation. Dealers can be wrong, but the good ones will make good on their sale if the item is not what it was represented to be.

As for the flight helmet and Mae West being Navy, that appears to be the case, but I doubt they were added to enhance a group. Lot's of wild things happened in the CBI due to supply issues etc. Buy the item not the story, but I don't think Ed added the stuff to the group. It was probably acquired from the same source, but perhaps it was an amalgamation of items from siblings, relative, etc. 

Allan 

I

Never under-estimate the power of prayer.

donation2007.gif