Kepi Insignia Question

MSchmitt1994

I've had these two kepi badges for years under the assumption that they were reproductions. Earlier today, I listed them on eBay as reproductions figuring I could get a few dollars for them when a good samaritan (if you're a member on here, thanks again!) messaged me saying they were real. The eBayer pointed out that the cavalry badge was a model 1872, however. What do all of you think? I know it can be difficult to discern a real one from a reproduction but is there a surefire way to tell? Thanks in advance for any help!

Civil War Infantry 1.jpeg

Civil War Infantry.jpeg

Hat Badges.jpeg

Hi MSchmitt1994 , The infantry Horn I believe is real. A lot of these surfaced 15 or so years ago. I don’t know anything about who or where they came from . My guess is from the condition and number that someone found a crate or shipping box full of real horns. The Cav Insignia I don’t know , one way or the other.  Probably the info you got on it is accurate.  Yours Mike

wartimecollectables.com

To echo Mike, the horn is right. Many of these came from Bannerman over the years. The Cav. emblem is smaller than CW, but I don't think it's M1872, I think it's M1881.

Thanks guys! A guy I bought some Civil War buttons from threw these in saying they were reproductions so I never gave them a second look. If it weren't for that good samaritan on eBay, I could've possibly sold them off as reproductions for substantially less than what they're worth. There are still good people out there!