Vietnam Era Arc-Light SAC Task Force Patch

McDermut99

This was part of a small batch of patches I bought a few days ago from a larger collection. According to Eric's USAF patches site this patch is associated with the 4252nd Strategic Wing Young Tiger SAC Task Force, which flew B-52s and KC-135s out of Kadena AFB during Vietnam. 

I believe the patch to be from the Vietnam era ('65-'70 was when the unit was activated) and haven't found much to get a good idea on value. It measures 3" across and shows signs of having been sewn onto a uniform. Any comments and thoughts on its value are greatly appreciated!

BE937F52-98C2-4CC6-8537-15837AB4E6FE_1_105_c.jpeg

2B282A04-55DD-4B84-9AAA-8AD8B63B8CAF_1_105_c.jpeg

2B7C5A0D-FAD5-45B8-8FBF-AAF9DD2A2EFD_1_105_c.jpeg

3DE2A87A-6616-4253-94A9-FF1D62B32CF9_1_105_c.jpeg

• 9 months later...

Thought I'd bump this thread with some pics of the patch under a UV light for anyone who might find it interesting and/or helpful now that I have mine working again. It certainly lights up, which I was expecting.

CD795812-C333-4CF6-9DD2-61B09B5B4269_1_105_c.jpeg.eb0b20203e475e48ec15236683d46187.jpeg

98EFBFF4-C7C6-494D-AD06-B5C527970300_1_105_c.jpeg.882d491928bef50c8266393d9857a67d.jpeg

As I told a friend once, prices for USAF patches are all over the place.  Air Commando squadron patches seem to be at the high end of the scale, fighter squadrons coming in next.

Curiously SAC and bomber patches do not seem to bring as much.

For this one, I'd say a minimum of $35 to $45.  It's not common, but it's not rare.   I'm sure others will chime in with higher estimates. 

As far as a UV light test... given that it was sewn on a uniform, all it may indicate is that the uniform was washed with a modern detergent that contains phosphates.  Often synthetic threads and cloth will light up like this, but the embroidery thread looks like cotton or cotton blend, which would have been common during that time period.

As far as where this was made, the embroidery style reminds me of patches from Korea.  Coming from Kadena, it may have been made there locally, possibly by a Korean tailor.  This just does not look to have the quality expected of Japanese made patches. 

Sorry, just seeing this. This is a typical Okinawan made patch as seen in the 60s-early 70s. Many Okie made ones have that "pebblelike" texture to the front. The KC-135 crews wore this, as it represents the Young Tiger Task Force, which controlled the SEA 135 operations. 

What Gil said about the the UV test is spot on, as is the price and rarity. Prices are all over the place, but the good/rare ones still bring good money, and I noticed prices across the board are up on USAF again. Hope this helps.

Randy

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/29/2021 at 6:25 PM, gwb123 said:

As I told a friend once, prices for USAF patches are all over the place.  Air Commando squadron patches seem to be at the high end of the scale, fighter squadrons coming in next.

Curiously SAC and bomber patches do not seem to bring as much.

For this one, I'd say a minimum of $35 to $45.  It's not common, but it's not rare.   I'm sure others will chime in with higher estimates. 

As far as a UV light test... given that it was sewn on a uniform, all it may indicate is that the uniform was washed with a modern detergent that contains phosphates.  Often synthetic threads and cloth will light up like this, but the embroidery thread looks like cotton or cotton blend, which would have been common during that time period.

As far as where this was made, the embroidery style reminds me of patches from Korea.  Coming from Kadena, it may have been made there locally, possibly by a Korean tailor.  This just does not look to have the quality expected of Japanese made patches. 

On 6/29/2021 at 7:37 PM, Randy said:

Sorry, just seeing this. This is a typical Okinawan made patch as seen in the 60s-early 70s. Many Okie made ones have that "pebblelike" texture to the front. The KC-135 crews wore this, as it represents the Young Tiger Task Force, which controlled the SEA 135 operations. 

What Gil said about the the UV test is spot on, as is the price and rarity. Prices are all over the place, but the good/rare ones still bring good money, and I noticed prices across the board are up on USAF again. Hope this helps.

Randy

On 6/29/2021 at 8:13 PM, ocsfollowme said:

worthpoint says $25-50. 

Thank you all very much! That's very interesting information, especially the 'pebble-like" texture of the fabric Randy mentioned. 

Here's another Okinawan made one for the 6010 Wild Weasel Sq. This was formerly a Det of the 12th TFS stationed at Kadena AB deployed to Thailand. As such, they did some of their patches on Okinawa. You can see the "pebbles" in this as well. I probably have about 25-30 made like this.

Randy

6010wws f105 1.jpg