USMC issued 1898 Krags

DEL56

I am not 100% sure this is the right place to post this, but here goes. I was reading on the USMC Weaponry site about the 1898 Krags issued and used by the Marines. I have also purchased and read "Equiping the Corps" by Alex Tulkoff. Between those two sources it seems to me that there were about 1,000 model 1898 Krags issued to the Marines and then they were sent to Nicaragua and Haiti. According to the USMC Weaponry site, there are only two documented and known USMC issued 1898 Krags found. (#231425, and #257294) Is that correct, or is it outdated information? Kind of makes those a Holy Grail for USMC collectors if that is the case.

I can't help you with the number on the Krags, or any information about them.  I can say that I have my Grandfathers Krag bayonet.  He was USMC 11th company in Haiti in 1916/1917.   Not sure if that helps or hinders you.   But you can account for one of the bayonets found.  🙂

Jon B.

Newaygo MI

• 4 weeks later...

Now there is a third one out there. I actually put eyes on this one. Springfield Krag 1898 on the list in "Equiping the Corps" issued to the USMC. #328674

IMG_6015.jpg

• 10 months later...

The USMC Krags are exceptionally hard to fine, but some of them are out there. Since I last posted here, I have found 3 of them. I was able to purchase 2 of the 3. I now have #234006, and #254961. The one I was not able to purchase was one of the Hilton Trophy Match Rifles used by the USMC Rifle Team #372427. Sold at an auction and was bid way above my pay grade. Thought I would post an update to keep you all informed. 

USMC 1898 Krag #234006.jpg

USMC 1898 Krag #254961.jpg

12 hours ago, ccyooper said:

Is there a list of these serial numbered krags with USMC service? 

On pages 371-373 of this book.

USMC Book.jpg