WW1 or WW2 field pack

27Division18

Can anyone help me ID this field pack and the unit stenciled on it? It appears to be a M-1910 us army pack that has been dyed green and has a stenciled unit which looks like: H & S Co. 103 ENG (cannot make out the first digit, may not be a one). There is also a large 65 to the right of the stencil and the customary large US on the outside of the flap. What do you think?

September 15, 2020 014.JPG

September 15, 2020 012.JPG

September 15, 2020 015.JPG

You have an M1923 haversack that has been over-dyed for better camouflage. The stencil attributes it to the Headquarters & Service Company of the 103rd Engineer Battalion, which was part of the 28th Infantry Division in WW2. They served in the ETO. You can find their history online.

29 minutes ago, pararaftanr2 said:

You have an M1923 haversack that has been over-dyed for better camouflage. The stencil attributes it to the Headquarters & Service Company of the 103rd Engineer Battalion, which was part of the 28th Infantry Division in WW2. They served in the ETO. You can find their history online.

Thanks much for the information. Do you think the application of the green dye was likely period done? have you seen other examples like this on M-1923 packs? Thanks again

Yes, I do believe it is period done and I have seen, and owned, similar examples in the past. Large quantities of web field gear, that was originally khaki in color, were vat-dyed to approximate the dark OD shade adopted in 1943. You will find on these vat-dyed items, in most cases, that the black finish on the metal parts has been removed by the dye process.

17 minutes ago, pararaftanr2 said:

Yes, I do believe it is period done and I have seen, and owned, similar examples in the past. Large quantities of web field gear, that was originally khaki in color, were vat-dyed to approximate the dark OD shade adopted in 1943. You will find on these vat-dyed items, in most cases, that the black finish on the metal parts has been removed by the dye process.

Thanks very much!

16 minutes ago, Marchville1918 said:

I think that what you have is a 1910 haversack with a 1923 mess kit pouch all dyed dark green during WW2.

I agree. I was working from memory (a bad idea). The M1928 haversack (not M1923 as I previously misstated) had two rear straps for connection to the cartridge belt, not the single strap on the M1910 model, which yours clearly has. Thanks for the correction!

• 2 weeks later...

Neat Pack you picked up there- Unit stenciled, no less! That re-dyed web gear is always worth picking up, as far as I'm concerned. As the other guys have said, vat-dyeing tan/light O.D. gear was a significant action in the transitional period of 1942-43 when equipment and clothing was undergoing major modifications.

I've got a fair pile of it, but no group shot yet. Below, a couple of 1918 Stitched Mounted Belts and an M1942 Field Dressing Pouch. 

Redyed gear #14F.JPG