Belt plates , where my collecting Civil War Began

skypilot6670

My collecting Civil war began with a round eagle breast  plate somewhere around 30 years ago. I’ve long since sold or traded what was a nice collection of civil war belt plates. I’ve now come full circle , keeping what relics I have , I’ve started collecting belt plates again. Here’s my latest additions. 

1E5FC965-764A-4772-8ADA-584ADEE6FC83.jpeg.5f4a1217a6469bb58430fc71b5c05abb.jpeg

5C4D7E51-5162-4BA4-B904-DCB49C8AF06D.jpeg.80b63140bd8d2284b04a7701a53eac4c.jpeg

USCapturephotos

Hey Mike. Great pieces. There is just something about the quality of Civil War belt plates that I just love. I especially like those baby sizes. I have been lucky enough to dig 8 or 9 over the years including a baby US box plate lost at the Battle of Malvern Hill.

Paul

Hi Paul.

I really like belt plates and I agree they are very well made . That’s amazing you’ve dug 8 or 9 and a baby box plate. Thanks for commenting . Mike

Andrew you’re right about buttins. My youngest daughter put a collection of dug cast I confederate buttins together , probably 20 or so . All the different patinas ,from red to green blue were a really nice display. She still has them , once she got something she kept it , not like me .  Thanks for commenting Mike

Great looking belt plates!  My first ACW piece was a belt plate also. I collected only WWII at the time and I thought I’d like to have at least one piece from the civil war. I always thought that my belt plate looked too lonely so I started adding more ACW pieces to keep it company!

Frank

Hey Frank , Thanks for commenting. Part of my reason for getting belt plates was my display of corps badges and disc looks lonely. I sold off all my photos and not identified badges last spring. So I’am thinking some nice belt plates will make it pop , slow people down at my tables.  Thanks again Mike

44 minutes ago, M24 Chaffee said:

Great looking belt plates!  My first ACW piece was a belt plate also. I collected only WWII at the time and I thought I’d like to have at least one piece from the civil war. I always thought that my belt plate looked too lonely so I started adding more ACW pieces to keep it company!

Frank