USMC EGA FROGSKIN COVER

gap

Picked this up today.  It's a fixed bail helmet with raised brass bar buckle.  Came with a P55 liner with a 1969 dated sweatband. 

I didn't want to take off the cover, but I was able to peak under it and the helmet is grey.  Can't make out the complete heat lot other than "52" 

Did the Marines use Navy helmets? 

Anyway, wondering if the cover is legit.  

IMG_4912.JPG

IMG_4914.JPG

IMG_4929.JPG

IMG_4928.JPG

IMG_4926.JPG

IMG_4933.JPG

The marines are a branch of the United States Armed Forces responsible for conducting expeditionary and amphibious operations with the United States Navy as well as the Army and Air Force. 

Yes a marine could have used a navy painted helmet, they spent lots of hours with the navy on their ships. Is it common - not so much but I’ve seen it 3 times before on other sets. 

- Dean 

2 hours ago, gap said:

Thanks Dean, does the cover look legit? 

It’s an open stitch late war cover, I’m guessing no slits. Looks great ! For me that EGA being on there puts it post Korean War into Vietnam war  

- Dean 

Makes sense with the P55 liner and 1969 sweatband this being Vietnam War era.

The helmet also has the early raised brass chinstraps ! Just goes to show that even an early WW2 fixed bail was still being used in the late 60s and probably well Into the 70s and even 80s

very cool set 

This is the second fixed bail USMC helmet I have with Korean and Vietnam era liner/parts.  Liner strap is blackened brass with Carr rivets.

Anyhow, here are more pix.

IMG_0283.JPG

IMG_0285.JPG

Last one, I was hoping someone with research tools could help with the name, rather unusual.  Since it's written in marker, I'm guessing it was written during the Vietnam war. 

You can't make out the lot number from this pic, but with a magnifying loop I'm pretty sure its 552A

IMG_4925.JPG