I Made a Knife While in Iraq

bryang

I served in Iraq 2005-2007 with 2nd Battalion, 5th Special Forces Group.  While there, our Battalion Motor Officer - a Warrant Officer named Russ Faulkner - brought his forge and other knife=making gear.  He made beautiful knives as a hobby, and so on those occasions where we had a little down time, he guided us through the process of making knives (without the forge - that was his domain).

I used a plasma torch and cut a piece of old HWMMV armor - Russ' team had upgraded the armor on our vehicles - and shaped and polished my knife with a belt grinder.  Russ talked me through the process.  For the handle, I cut a piece of a door frame from within one of Saddam Hussein's palaces, which we were living in.

These photos are me going through the process, and then 2127727705_OIFKnife1.JPG.483b66e796cde09b11e17c9b6c53a3ba.JPGthe finished product.

OIF Knife 2.JPG

OIF Knife 3.JPG

OIF Knife 4 (2).JPG

A handle from the door frame of Saddam's palace?!?!?!!!   WOW! That is so cool!  Thanks for showing us, and thanks for your service.

Marv

Just my unsolicited 2c, but I would make no changes to that knife, by engraving it, etc.  

It is just how you made it and carried it home.

Maybe put a tag on it or something.