Aggressor Forces Fiberglass Target???

Hello Everyone? 
     I found this at a local antique shop that I frequent and it was reasonable, so I took a chance on it.  To me it looked like an Aggressor forces soldier, because of the comb on the helmet. It’s made from fiberglass and painted a light green, although it’s very faded and has a few bad repairs. Has anyone seen these before. I’ve seen plastic Russians on eBay that look similar but these are quite different. Any help or information would be greatly appreciated. I hope you enjoy the photo.

thanks,

VicFFA86580-E802-4614-A333-2442824BF72B.jpeg.aa2456353d7af387a80f201be2c35783.jpeg

Looks like a pop up target for a firing range.

Gil Burket
Omaha, NE
Specializing in Fakes and Reproductions
of the Vietnam War

burkcats@hotmail.com

"One is easily fooled by that which one loves."

Moliere: Tartuffe

donation2017.gif

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

• 3 weeks later...

He seemed to be holding a round stick or something at one time. Maybe a civilian constrution sign or similar?

David Turman

Semper Fi !

"Not as Lean, not as Mean, but still a Marine!"

That would be an expensive target seeing how it would be destroyed with one use on the rifle range. A target perhaps but not for live fire, maybe for sighting or  some sort of electronic system. Maybe a decoy so less troops could be used as aggressors. Why use molded fiber glass just to shoot it up on the rifle range when printed cardboard would work just as well? 

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gif

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

4 hours ago, Taber10 said:

Just what Gil said--pop up target used on many rifle ranges--I think all Army.  

I don’t think so.  I spent a LOT of time on Army ranges, and never saw anything this elaborate.  Pop-up targets have no need for this level of detail, for a host of reasons.  First, as QED mentioned, expensive for its use.  Also, just no need for that level of realism - actually may be counter-productive, as you are essentially training soldiers to kill enemies, so making them look less human may be best.

Every range target I ever saw - pop-up or static (grenade ranges) - were just silhouettes.  Shoulders and head at short distance (50-75m), and full torsos out to 300m.  These were flat corrugated plastic.  

Maybe these were used before I served, but I would be surprised.

On 10/6/2020 at 9:23 AM, Blacksmith said:

I don’t think so.  I spent a LOT of time on Army ranges, and never saw anything this elaborate.  Pop-up targets have no need for this level of detail, for a host of reasons.  First, as QED mentioned, expensive for its use.  Also, just no need for that level of realism - actually may be counter-productive, as you are essentially training soldiers to kill enemies, so making them look less human may be best.

Every range target I ever saw - pop-up or static (grenade ranges) - were just silhouettes.  Shoulders and head at short distance (50-75m), and full torsos out to 300m.  These were flat corrugated plastic.  

Maybe these were used before I served, but I would be surprised.

On 10/6/2020 at 9:23 AM, Blacksmith said:

In the 90s, and I'm presuming much earlier, we used targets in the shape of Soviet soldiers. A lot like these, but plastic, darker green (same as the standard E type, some were a little lighter but not this light), and holding an AK74.  They were almost certainly made years before and were not being made since the wall fell, but why not just use them up    We had these at Ft. Campbell until I left there in 1995, and wherever the MD ARNG was getting targets was still using them into the late 90s. I think we used them in OSUT at Benning, but not on the qualification range, just the training ranges. Not all were painted, there were plenty of them that were plain green. This is the NSN for them, 6920-01-164-9625. The funny thing is that I remembered them being more detailed, but I guess that's memory for you.Stationary-infantry-Target_.jpg.5e70cf8f51e5e992369d2858c5506e1d.jpg

I forgot to mention, that making them look more human was the goal. Human shaped targets in training meant people were more used to being able to shoot at human shaped torsos in battle since you were already used to looking at that shape. You've heard that in WW@ (but it applied to WW1, Korea, and others) that only like 20% of soldiers actually fired their weapons? That number went much, much higher after the torso shaped silhouette was introduced.