Theater made Raider tab ?

doughboy

You are probably aware that this tabs sits above an 8th Army patch and is Korean made.  My question would be when was this tab produced in South Korea?  Is it from the Korean War or more recently?  I understand that Company C, 47th Infantry Regiment was named the Raider Regiment back in 1917.  So was this an elite unit or a regular infantry regiment given the name Raider?   There is currently one of these tabs attached to an 8th Army SSI up for bid one eBay (see link).   I don't know the answers to these questions but am very curious myself so maybe someone else will enlighten us.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/pk212-Original-Korean-War-Era-US-Army-47th-Raiders-Over-8th-Army-SSI-Patch-WA10-/353060695120

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

Hi,

Well,my thoughts were it's japanese made - but I'm not really familiarized with japanese made stuff.What do you think ! is this a good tab or a replica ?

Airborne-Hunter

There is an ASMIC reference to this piece in a 1962 (?) trading post, but the issue isn't available online and I have yet to find a physical copy so I do not know what it says. I have a similar Japanese made 47th Raider tab and I believe Vintageproductions has one on his site as well. This is the 3rd or 4th I have seen. I have never figured out what it is for and there is another topic on the forum as well about it without ID.

The piece shown over the 8th is definitely a modern piece. 

Best ABN

• 8 months later...

Revisiting this earlier topic

So

What was this unit??? I mean seeing that the 47th Infantry was 1: In the 9th Infantry Division, which was never in Japan or in the Korean War and 2: Was not even a combat organization at this time, it being along with the 9th Division a Cadre Strength Training organization a Fort Dix New Jersey.

In my search for this unit, these are apparently the only army units numbered 47 that receive Korea Campaign Credit.

47th Ordnance Depot Light Aircraft Maintenance Company;

47th Ordnance Depot Light Aircraft Maintenance Company, Detachment "A";

47th Surgical Hospital (Mobile) (Army);

47th Transportation Heavy Truck Company;

47th Transportation Light Aircraft Maintenance Company;

Was  it then a Platoon Sized unit under 8th Army?

Found this, interesting right, it is a 47th Infantry 9th Infantry Division 1945 Yearbook, it seems the regiment contused to be called the RAIDERS even through WWII. But again not thinking at all this 8th Army Unit was affiliated with the 47th Infantry.

9960735600.jpg

It's the 47th Transportation Heavy Truck Company - might be a humorous type of tab. They are listed in the Campaign Credit Register w/ 8 campaign credits, all for the KW.  

There IS precedence - the 333rd Harbor Craft Company (TC) was known as McKee's Raiders, and they wore a skull and cross bones - ASMIC pubbed an article on them in The Trading Post AJ 2009.  They shuffled cargo from ships to shore. Don't want to hijack this thread w/ pic.

Yes, there is a scroll for the  47th IR (9th ID) Raiders; again, don't want to hijack this thread w/ pic.    

11 hours ago, tredhed2 said:

It's the 47th Transportation Heavy Truck Company - might be a humorous type of tab. They are listed in the Campaign Credit Register w/ 8 campaign credits, all for the KW.  

There IS precedence - the 333rd Harbor Craft Company (TC) was known as McKee's Raiders, and they wore a skull and cross bones - ASMIC pubbed an article on them in The Trading Post AJ 2009.  They shuffled cargo from ships to shore. Don't want to hijack this thread w/ pic.

Yes, there is a scroll for the  47th IR (9th ID) Raiders; again, don't want to hijack this thread w/ pic.    

Thanks tred, that explains a lot of it. Humorous title, like say a Finance Detachment making up  tabs for their little unit that says THE KILLERS 968795056_emoticonlaugh.png.034099db9ff0712cc05fa8ab3f782e71.png