Hello from mountains

WAC_GIRL1944

Hello everyone!

Female collector/researcher interested in the history and uniforms and equipment of the Women's Army Corps/Nurse Corps from 1942-45. Have a family connection (grandmother and great aunt) who served overseas in Europe during the war. My grandfather was also a Battle of the Bulge/ Battle of Germany veteran so also interested in the stories and ephemera associated with that.

2 hours ago, Mr.Jerry said:

Awesome-

I am a Woman's services uniform collector too- there is some GREAT stuff on the forum from these strong ladies!  Welcome aboard!

Thank you! yes I have been trying to find time to look around. Much of my collection is in storage due to lack of space at the moment-but hoping to contribute some soon!

Welcome Wac_Girl1944. Where did your grandmother and great aunt serve in Europe? I have a "WAC Area - Off Limits To Male Personnel" sign that came from the base referred to as Pine Tree in England. I did a thread about it here years ago. 

Grandma was UK, France and Germany worked as switchboard operator. Her older sister worked as a stenographer/records clerk in Washington and UK. Their records have been lost and sadly by the time I began to ask questions as a teenager my aunt has died and grandma has began to suffer Alzheimers. She did recall being under shellfire in France on a couple of occasions.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome aboard.  Oddly my interests have been on female uniforms of World War I and Vietnam, which comes before and after yours.

Aside from dress uniforms, the differences in field uniforms between men and women mostly disappeared with the advent of BDU's.

• 5 weeks later...