VADM (Ret) Charles "Weary" Wilkins Roll of Honor Dolphins Info Sought (David A. Jones)

RickInVic

I'm hoping the author of "US Silent Service: Dolphins & Combat Insignia 1924 - 1945", David A. Jones, is reading the forum these days and could possibly help with additional information about the Roll of Honor dolphins awarded to (then) LCDR C.W. Wilkins?  On page 53 of your book a photo is shown of Wilkins' award certificate and attributed to the Roger Bender Collection.  In the Note at the bottom of the page you explain the dolphins awarded to LCDR Wilkins by VADM English were made by Balfour rather then the H&H type VADM Lockwood liked to award.  Mr. Jones, if you're reading this, it sounds like you had the opportunity to examine VADM Wilkin's Roll of Honor dolphins and I'm hoping you might be able to provide photographs of them ~ particularly the engraving on the rear.

In the meantime, for others reading this thread, I'm attaching a few pictures of VADM Wilkins shown wearing his dolphins.  It's interesting to the note he wore different styles including the deep wave version in at least his later years.  In the two 1945 pictures, taken after he has been presented his Silver Star Medal and Legion of Merit, I think he is wearing AMICO made dolphins. (I would be interested to know if others agree.) Although it's not a great scan, in the photo used in the USNA Class of 1924 Reunion (1949) booklet he appears to be wearing either the Balfour style or the H&H deep wave style based on the details of the tail of the dolphin which is unfortunately about all you can see.  In his 1953 official portrait he's appears to be wearing AMICO dolphins again.  In the picture taken after being awarded the Cuban Order of Naval Military Merit in 1954 you can see he is wearing the deep wave style of dolphin.

Wilkins_4501.jpg

Wilkins_4511.jpg

Wilkins_49xx.png

25FEB53.jpg

Cuban Decoration.jpg

• 3 months later...

Late to the discussion, but it looks like the 3rd photo is of an H-H dolphin from the tail style to me.  I agree that the first photo likely shows AMICO dolphins in wear.  I too always wondered about the LGB "roll of honor" set that Jones mentioned in his book, and that you quoted above. 

6 hours ago, Josh B. said:

Late to the discussion, but it looks like the 3rd photo is of an H-H dolphin from the tail style to me.  I agree that the first photo likely shows AMICO dolphins in wear.  I too always wondered about the LGB "roll of honor" set that Jones mentioned in his book, and that you quoted above. 

Thanks Josh.  As a follow up, I did manage to make contact with Dave Jones. He was very helpful but unfortunately did not have a photo of the reverse of Admiral Wilkins' roll of honor dolphins.