M7 Scabbard by Detroit Gasket?

hyrax222

First I have ever seen. If a fantacy scabbard, it was well done. Throat crimps look right to me for an original construction M7. 

Your  thoughts?

20200831_190107.jpg

20200831_190024.jpg

20200831_190114.jpg

20200831_190222.jpg

20200831_190114.jpg

Hello,

Since you have a Detroit throat and also a Detroit body, there is no reason to think that it's a fantasy piece.  First, measure the length of the plastic body from the base of the metal.  Your picture appears to look a little longer than normal which is 9 1-2 to 9 3/4 inches long. 

If you want to argue that this IS a cut down scabbard, there are not many ways to argue against it. 

1. You have a Detroit metal throat.  That means there is no production number, i.e. B 2/9 N. etc.  Therefore there is no way to exclude this scabbard from being a legitimate cut down.

2. Normally, a cut down will have the metal tabs cut off and pinched together. However, the first cut downs were made by opening the tabs and inserting the cut down body, then re-closing the tabs. This proved unsatisfactory because the tabs kept breaking off. Soon after this, they used the method we know today. 

So, since the tabs on your scabbard are intact, it could be a very early cut down. 

3. Also, the Detroit scabbard bodies, did not fair well during this process either. They too kept breaking, so they stopped using these scabbard bodies.  This too points to a very early cut down. 

I have one Detroit Gasket cut down scabbard, but it has the usual pinched metal parts.  There is one thing odd about the Detroit cut downs (yours and mine).  Usually the cut down scabbards would be marked with REP under the throat. There would be no reason to think these would not have been marked this way, but they are not marked.

Hope this helps.

Marv

Misfit 45

Your assessment is keen. I am a student of the estemed Gary Cunningham (Silvey, Cole, Traszka, others). Much of what I  know comes from his extensive works. I would never imagine the possibility of this being a (successfull) cut-down. But it is intriguing! 

I will measure the scab. body soon. All packed and mobile due to OR  wildfires.

Hats off to Misfit 45!

• 1 month later...

That’s about the 4th or fifth one I’ve seen. I sold one at the SOS about 4 years ago. I think they are uncommon and were not used for the same reason their contract was terminated. Being from Michigan I used to keep an eye out for them but no longer do. 

Thanks Misfit 45 and cuuyooper (sp)!

I have my moments!

These are very scarce! But few are interested in M7 trivia...

Back down my "rabbit hole" of transitionals...

hyrx222