USAAF P-39 Airacobra Bell Aircraft Patch Correct Orientation

TCSchultz

Sometime ago I got a scrapbook for a PFC who was attached to the 443rd Troop Carrier Group as part of the Far East Air Forces in the USAAF in Asia.  He had attended school at Bell Aircraft for the P-39 Airacobra and received a graduation patch which was still attached to it's cardboard cut out of a soldier in the scrapbook.  What makes it interesting is that it shows the correct orientation of the patch as it was intended as I have seen the same patch in the standard reference guide for WW2 patches upside down apparently.  There were several other Airacobra items in the scrapbook which I have also imaged including a booklet from Bell Aviation.  

MVC-001L.JPG

MVC-002L.JPG

MVC-003L.JPG

MVC-004L.JPG

MVC-005L.JPG

MVC-006L.JPG

I have my grandfather’s. Attended school in Niagara Falls. Liaison pilot with the MAAF. Ended war as a Master Sargent and flew around a lot of bigwigs. Bedell  Smith, Sir Arthur Tedder... Had Gen. Roosevelt give him his overcoat so he could shack up in the officer’s billets.

That's cool and it's a neat patch, just one that folks couldn't tell if it was right side up or not thus my post as I think that has been settled now! 

• 2 years later...

I always liked the looks of those Airacobras. My dad was in college in Buffalo until May '42 and said he would hear Airacobras flying all the time. He graduated and was immediately drafted.