Show-of-Shows 2021 UPDATE

Shenkursk

Ok, boys and girls - I have been doing the happy dance for about six weeks now, ever since hanging up after a very successful conversation with the Kentucky Expo Center.. but Bill wanted to make sure that we had a signed contract in hand before making a public announcement.  Well, the contract is signed, so we can now spread the word.

A day or two after the 'socially distant' Wilmington show, we were able to secure a deal with the Kentucky Expo Center to annex Hall B, which is where the children's fair has been held in previous years.  They had just cancelled, and that hall was (very briefly) up for grabs.  Now, if the social distancing requirements re: COVID-19 are still in play next February, we WILL be able to spread out the Show-of-Shows in compliance with all rules and regulations as they currently exist.

Bear in mind, state or local officials could impose different restrictions between now and then.  They could also take over the facility for use as a testing center, or to erect another of the ghost hospitals. They did this once before in anticipation of an overwhelmed health care system, but the system was not overwhelmed after all, and to my knowledge the ersatz facility did not receive any patients.  So.. anything could change.  If the health department rules and regulations have not changed between now and then, we will be wearing masks, taking temperatures at the doors, and enjoying the wide-open spaces of a socially distant 'Plan B'.  I'm just glad the flea market in Hall A didn't beat us to the punch on that one.  If the world has improved, then maybe it will be back to normal.  Either way, we will all be happy to have the show.

We get a LOT of these questions: Will the Europeans be able to come here for Show-of-Shows?  Will the virus be cured in time for Show-of-Shows? (I'm sure that specific date IS circled on research lab calendars all over the world.)  How many ID'd paratrooper jump jackets will be at the show?  If you receive an 'anonymous report' that my show neighbor is infected, can I get his tables?  Etc., etc., etc.  For the record, in order: I don't know, I don't know, How could I possibly know that?, and what?!?!?  Honestly, if we had a functional method to see the future, I'm pretty sure we would be doing other things.

SO - barring yet another novel catastrophe, the 2021 SOS IS HAPPENING!! 

Thanks, that's great news! Fingers crossed, but I'm feeling pretty good that by then, with several vaccine candidates in Phase 3 and and 44 therapeutics in Phase 4 (117 in Phase 3), we may be good to go. :)

Thanks,

James

The Wilmington OVMS show in July was the first run under the socially distanced, COVID world , welcome to 2020 guidelines.

It was well thought out, and thanks to a cooperative effort between OVMS andThe Roberts Center (the host facility), we had an extremely successful show.

For the benefit of those who were not there...the aisles and tables were well spread out with ample room; masks were required to be worn; and your temperature was taken with a digital thermometer at the door each day.  Sanitizer was readily available throughout the show.  Usually, first time attempts at something like this are akin to an albatross trying to fly...but this system worked about as flawlessly as you could hope for.

Now imagine implementing the same plan on a larger scale...!  It will work,... but you think it was challenging to cover the SOS before?  Now imagine it at double the size.  Comfortable shoes are highly recommended.

Want a preview of the system?  Come to the OVMS show in Wilmington, Ohio This November!

I know that the OVMS has a Use-It or Lose-It policy on tables, sort of speak. I'm curious if they are considering waivers or suspend the policy temporarily for this year, considering the circumstances, for those individuals that may have health concerns and not attend. After all, many of our community are in that volatile bracket for one reason or another. There may be reluctance by those that are not at risk but still playing it safe, and not attend as well. Vendors and visitors.

I ask because I was recently having a convo with an individual that has been attending the show since its early years, and is afraid of losing his table that he's had all these years. He has health risks. I would imagine, right off the bat, there are many him-hawing about attending. But that is all speculation, so much up in the air.  

20 hours ago, dustin said:

I know that the OVMS has a Use-It or Lose-It policy on tables, sort of speak. I'm curious if they are considering waivers or suspend the policy temporarily for this year, considering the circumstances, for those individuals that may have health concerns and not attend. After all, many of our community are in that volatile bracket for one reason or another. There may be reluctance by those that are not at risk but still playing it safe, and not attend as well. Vendors and visitors.

I ask because I was recently having a convo with an individual that has been attending the show since its early years, and is afraid of losing his table that he's had all these years. He has health risks. I would imagine, right off the bat, there are many him-hawing about attending. But that is all speculation, so much up in the air.  

I am having this same dilemma.  I am really afraid to attend this SOS after doing so for 20+ years.  If I could roll my 2001 reservations over to 2002 I would do so in a minute but I don't want to lose my tables where I have been for years.  Frankly, I don't know what I am going to do about the upcoming show.  Probably not go and maybe it is time to quit this show if they will not accommodate people during a world-wide health crisis.  

I missed last years SOS for the first time in over a decade so, I need my fix. This does comfort those of us who were chomping at the bit. I was afraid it may be 2 years for me and that is just not fathomable. 

The real question...if there's an outbreak of COVID and contact tracing leads back to the show, what consequences will it have on the future of the show?

On 9/18/2020 at 8:19 PM, Brig said:

The real question...if there's an outbreak of COVID and contact tracing leads back to the show, what consequences will it have on the future of the show?

As it has been explained to me, as long as an event is diligently following whatever the (ever-changing) protocols are at the time that it happens, and the participants were there of their own free will and not brought in zip-tied and hooded, then the principle of assumption of risk applies.

I checked out the Kentucky Expo website this morning. They are open for business. Big Gun Show happening on Oct3-4. So, I guess that will be a good indicator on how things progress.. My only concern is one of their Covid guidelines discusses a 50% maximum permitted occupancy. I'm wondering if we can verify if the SOS will have this restriction?Thx

On 9/17/2020 at 1:42 PM, dustin said:

On 9/18/2020 at 10:30 AM, SARGE said:

I am having this same dilemma.  I am really afraid to attend this SOS after doing so for 20+ years.  If I could roll my 2001 reservations over to 2002 I would do so in a minute but I don't want to lose my tables where I have been for years.  Frankly, I don't know what I am going to do about the upcoming show.  Probably not go and maybe it is time to quit this show if they will not accommodate people during a world-wide health crisis.  

I think you guys have a misunderstanding of OVMS policy.  This is not uncommon.  I was on the road when I saw this, so pardon the late reply.  I called Bill to confirm my understanding of OVMS policy just to be sure.  If someone has an active paid table reservation and cancels (for any reason) prior to the cut-off date (2 weeks before the show), they can roll their tables from the current year to the next.  Period.  Happens all the time.

These are the things that would actually cause you to be cast adrift from your long-standing tables:

1) The table holder packs up before the specified time on Saturday.

2) The table holder sub-lets his tables, and his buddy that had one or more of them packed up and left early.
     (as a general rule, have your buddy get his or her own table in their name, that way if they do anything goofy, you aren't responsible.)

3) The table holder neglected to submit an application to renew his / her tables.

4) The table holder has violated one or more rules about conduct at the show, or lost his / her OVMS membership for cause, and thus is no longer eligible to have tables at an OVMS show.

When Bill and I were discussing plans for the July Wilmington show, we theorized that those who are very concerned about being around other people would stay home, and those who are not so concerned would attend.  With a couple of exceptions, we were right.   And, other than the mask-wearing, really nice kids taking temperatures at the front entrance, and old west cow-town style aisles it was a 'normal' show.  Well.. actually better than normal; due to the cancellation of other events and hunger for a show, it was quite a bit better than normal for many of us, with a bunch of new faces that we usually only see at the SOS and MAX.

What will the state of the world be in February 2021?  Who knows.  2020 has clearly demonstrated that anything is possible.  For the moment, though, OVMS is moving forward with a rain plan and a sun plan both in our pockets.. so I think the odds are quite good that 2021 SOS will happen - we hope to see you all there.

• 1 month later...

Yes, the show is still happening.

Bill sent out an update this week, explaining that the show is on unless local/state officials pull the plug at the last minute; and (at least right now) there is no indication of that.

We have the adjacent hall in addition to the normal show space, so the show will maintain social distance, masks will be mandatory, as well as other precautions.

The July and November Wilmington shows were a great success, and followed the same model on a smaller scale, of course.

Raidercollector
2 hours ago, MAW said:

Yes, the show is still happening.

Bill sent out an update this week, explaining that the show is on unless local/state officials pull the plug at the last minute; and (at least right now) there is no indication of that.

We have the adjacent hall in addition to the normal show space, so the show will maintain social distance, masks will be mandatory, as well as other precautions.

The July and November Wilmington shows were a great success, and followed the same model on a smaller scale, of course.

Thanks for the update.

for the record:

The November Wilmington show was a nice success - thank you to all who attended!  One of the questions asked by many who were there, however, was "On what specific day will we know for sure if SOS is going to happen???" Quite understandable - we all need to know these things in order to make our plans.  Here's the deal: as of this moment, the show is a GO. The OVMS has been told we are "good to go", and we are proceeding along under that banner until we are told otherwise.

Our plan is to have the show. We are doing everything in our power to make that happen. We have added an extra hall so that we can spread out the aisles and tables in order to be in compliance with the current requirements for retail spaces. Our (awesome) event manager at the Kentucky Expo Center is assisting us with making certain that all is in order and in compliance.

It is entirely possible that the state or local elected officials will change the rules making it impossible to have the show, but it is not like they are going to have a considerate 'go / no-go' date for these type of decisions. If the powers that be wake up one morning and decide to slam on the brakes, we will notify everyone immediately via Facebook, email, and on the OVMS website.

So, unless you see otherwise on one of those official channels (Facebook, official OVMS email, OVMS website), the Show-of-Shows 2021 is on as planned.

SOS_2021_YN.jpg