Hawley Liner Opinions Please

colt38super

Hi, I picked this up last week at a flea market for a song. Looks like a replacement parade chin strap?? I need some expert advise about it.Thanks in advanced for any help!

David R.

IMG_9980.JPG

IMG_5374.JPG

IMG_4473.JPG

IMG_4343.JPG

IMG_3837.JPG

IMG_2100.JPG

IMG_1227.JPG

IMG_6852.JPG

IMG_9627.JPG

Wow that a nice one ! Some one reversed the nape strap and sweat band positions.

With whats drawn on it, looks like Navy. Mount Fuji possibly.......

and the symbol for a fire controlman on the front.

Those hash marks on the side ?

Marines ? Navy ? Nice, no cracks etc. Complete.

Put it in a box !!!

il_fullxfull.430176498_pbg7.jpg

I feel like the bars and slashes are backwards, if that really is Mt. Fuji then why is there a bar representing overseas wartime service instead a slash for peacetime service. Another odd thing to me is that it features a mix of navy and army insignia. I would love to know if another member has an explanation to that but it looks like a great helmet with some great artwork if it is original, too bad it doesn't seem to be named. 

I agree definitely original. 

You'll see these liners being sold at around 400-500 bucks in good condition, these are one of the most desirable early WW2 liners out there. 

On 9/12/2020 at 8:04 PM, Ray42 said:

I feel like the bars and slashes are backwards, if that really is Mt. Fuji then why is there a bar representing overseas wartime service instead a slash for peacetime service. Another odd thing to me is that it features a mix of navy and army insignia. I would love to know if another member has an explanation to that but it looks like a great helmet with some great artwork if it is original, too bad it doesn't seem to be named. 

You see this type of marking on the fire direction towers on battleships noting number of actions, planes shot down etc.  I suspect the guy who wore the liner was in 5 naval shore bombardments/invasions and the occupation of Japan.

In fact heres a photo of similar markings on a Mk37 Gun Director:

2020-09-16_8-44-15.jpg.baa83e72b60a3451a394c4346fa0e02f.jpg

On 9/12/2020 at 7:59 PM, colt38super said:

Looks like a replacement parade chin strap??

Nope, all original and I also agree with the hash marks denoting fire missions jiving with the fire control insignia. Nice liner. 

2 hours ago, AustinO said:

You see this type of marking on the fire direction towers on battleships noting number of actions, planes shot down etc.  I suspect the guy who wore the liner was in 5 naval shore bombardments/invasions and the occupation of Japan.

In fact heres a photo of similar markings on a Mk37 Gun Director:

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. I figured there might be a good explanation for why that was.