1960s Army Greens Class A Enlisted Uniform List

tk1976

Hi everyone, I’m hoping to put together a 1960s Army Green Class A Enlisted Mans Uniform together in the near future. My question is, is if anyone knows what the official list is for what the uniform consists of such as the specific names of the shirt and boots and what they look like?

Official names:

• Coat, Army Green
  • Trousers, Army Green
  • Shirt, tan, army shade 46 or 446
  • Nectktie, four-in-hand, black
  • Shoes, low quarter or
  • Boots, combat
  • Socks, black

The shade 46 shirt was cotton, 446 was poly/cotton and came in around 1965.

The coat, Army Green and Trousers, Army green came in AG-44 which was all wool, or nearly all wool, and the AG-344 which was a poly/wool blend.  The AG-44 was dropped sometime in the late 70s or 80s.  I was issued both in 1973.  We called the AG-344 "summer greens" and the all wool "winter greens" but I don't think those were official names.

The army had two tan shirts then- a short sleeve and a long sleeve. The long sleeve shirt could only be worn under the Class A blouse. The Short Sleeve shirt would have chevrons sewn to the sleeves and could be worn under the coat or as a stand alone Class B uniform.

Allan

17 hours ago, patches said:

Sent you a PM where to buy a Shade 46 Tan Cotton Poplin Shirt.

This is the shirt, the cotton poplin one, is the one that will be worn under the Class A Coat, it will not be the long sleeve shirt that Allan H mentioned, there indeed was those, those was a different type, ones made in Khaki Cotton Twill.

On 9/13/2020 at 12:05 PM, atb said:

Google Army Uniform Regulations for the one for the time period you need.

On 9/13/2020 at 12:32 PM, Justin B. said:

Official names:

• Coat, Army Green
  • Trousers, Army Green
  • Shirt, tan, army shade 46 or 446
  • Nectktie, four-in-hand, black
  • Shoes, low quarter or
  • Boots, combat
  • Socks, black

The shade 46 shirt was cotton, 446 was poly/cotton and came in around 1965.

On 9/13/2020 at 2:45 PM, Steve B. said:

The coat, Army Green and Trousers, Army green came in AG-44 which was all wool, or nearly all wool, and the AG-344 which was a poly/wool blend.  The AG-44 was dropped sometime in the late 70s or 80s.  I was issued both in 1973.  We called the AG-344 "summer greens" and the all wool "winter greens" but I don't think those were official names.

On 9/13/2020 at 8:15 PM, MattS said:

The Army uniform regs are AR 670-1, the list provided above is correct. The 2 authorized hats are the Service Cap and Garrison Cap.  

Thank you guys for the replies, I appreciate the help! So far I’ve got the shirt down.

Also MattS, do you know if there’s any earlier regs than 1981? 1981 seems to be the earliest I’ve been able to find.

28 minutes ago, tk1976 said:

Also MattS, do you know if there’s any earlier regs than 1981? 1981 seems to be the earliest I’ve been able to find.

It could be that it was a different Army Regulation (AR) number prior to 1981, I've just always known it as AR 670-1. Class As didn't change very much in the 60s through the 80s except when the tan shirts got swapped for green and the change to poly blends as mentioned earlier. Otherwise, a Vietnam vet's Class As and my 1990s Class As would be set up the same as the placement of collar brass, insignia, patches, ribbons, etc. was the same. 

The army had two tan shirts then- a short sleeve and a long sleeve. The long sleeve shirt could only be worn under the Class A blouse. The Short Sleeve shirt would have chevrons sewn to the sleeves and could be worn under the coat or as a stand alone Class B uniform.

I don't believe that is entirely correct.  The long-sleeved post-WWII khaki cotton twill shirt was allowed to be altered to have short sleeves when the regs changed for short sleeved khakis for the Class B uniform.  Those shirts had a buttonhole in the collar.  I don't know when they were adopted, but the Class B khaki short-sleeved shirts I was issued in 1973 did not have a buttonhole in the collar and were not worn under the dress greens.  Only the long-sleeved khaki colored shirt mentioned was worn under the greens.  That was in effect until the green poplin shirts were issued in the 80s.

7 minutes ago, Steve B. said:

I don't believe that is entirely correct.  The long-sleeved post-WWII khaki cotton twill shirt was allowed to be altered to have short sleeves when the regs changed for short sleeved khakis for the Class B uniform.  Those shirts had a buttonhole in the collar.  I don't know when they were adopted, but the Class B khaki short-sleeved shirts I was issued in 1973 did not have a buttonhole in the collar and were not worn under the dress greens.  Only the long-sleeved khaki colored shirt mentioned was worn under the greens.  That was in effect until the green poplin shirts were issued in the 80s.

Not sure about the tan shirts (before my time), but I agree; only green long sleeve shirts under the Class A coat, short sleeves worn alone were Class B. 

3 hours ago, patches said:

image.png.d339a7cabeddc40cdab441c29932e845.png

This is the 1956 Short Sleeve Khaki Shirt introduced with the Khaki Shorts and high Tan Socks, this example,worn mid late 1968-post 1968 (the new Pfc E-3 Stripes) it was permitted to be worn with long pants as a alternative only off duty on leave or in an office duty setting, and not in formation, this one has no top button, made that way, as it was not to be worn with a Tie, When the Army decides in mid 1965 to adopt short sleeve shirts, this one was permitted to be worn in large quantifies, here it became an issue item, where in the past it was a private purchase item at clothing sales stores, it was a stop gap item if you will to supplement the long sleeve shirt that were ordered to be truncated, this was done while specifically made short sleeve shirts were being manufactured, and would soon become available this new one was not made with a top button at the throat, all three types were seen in use for the remainder of the 60s.

As noted above AR 670-1 encompassed several other uniform regs, one being AR670-5. I have a PDF of AR 670-5 dated 1959. I can not attach the PDF file but if you PM me your email address I'll send you an electronic copy.

On 9/16/2020 at 9:38 AM, hardstripe said:

As noted above AR 670-1 encompassed several other uniform regs, one being AR670-5. I have a PDF of AR 670-5 dated 1959. I can not attach the PDF file but if you PM me your email address I'll send you an electronic copy.

Thank you man!