First Sergeant Newlove Willison Company K, 148th New York Volunteer Infantry Regiment WIA Group

First Sergeant Newlove Willison

United States Army, Company K, 148th New York Volunteer Infantry Regiment

Richmond-Petersburg, Swift Creek, Proctor's Creek, Drewry's Bluff, Bermuda Hundred, Cold Harbor, Fort Harrison, Fair Oaks, Petersburg, Rice's Station, Burke's Station, Appomattox Court House

Newlove Willison was born in East Bloomfield, New York on December 1, 1840. He was educated in the West Bloomfield public schools and his education was supplemented by several terms of academic instruction. Willison enlisted as a Private in Company K, One Hundred and Forty eighth, New York Volunteer Infantry Regiment at West Bloomfield, New York, on August 22, 1862.  The Regiment was mustered into the Federal service for three years on September 14, 1862.  The Regiment was chiefly engaged in garrison duty at Suffolk, Norfolk and Yorktown, Virginia, until 1864, when it was placed in Brigadier General Isaac Jones Wistar’s Division, Eighteenth Corps. They took part in the campaign of the Army of the James under General Butler against Petersburg and Richmond. The Regiment fought at Swift Creek, Proctor's creek, Drewry's Bluff and Bermuda Hundred. The Eighteenth Corps was then ordered to reinforce the Army of the Potomac and the One Hundred and Forty-eighth New York was heavily engaged at Cold Harbor. Returning to Bermuda Hundred, the regiment moved to Petersburg where they took part in the first bloody assault. After the failure of the assaults, the regiment went into position in the trenches on the right of the line, where it suffered daily throughout the siege amounting to 124 killed, wounded and missing.  In the latter part of August the Eighteenth Corps was relieved by the Tenth Corps, and ordered into the defenses of Bermuda Hundred. In September the regiment was engaged at Fort Harrison. In October the regiment fought at Fair Oaks, where on October 27, 1864, Sergeant Willison was wounded in the leg. The One Hundred and Forty-eighth New York participated in the Appomattox Campaign, taking part in the final assault on Petersburg and the engagements at Rice's station, Burke's Station and at Appomattox Court House. The regiment was mustered out on June 22, 1865, at Richmond, Virginia. Willison is a member of L. Edgar Fitch Post, No. 165, G. A. R., he was elected its commander in 1868, and was its representative at the State Encampment on three different occasions. He was an aid on the department commander's staff in 1890 and was also an aid on the national commander's staff in 1891. Newlove Willison died at West Bloomfield, New York, on January 2, 1906. He is buried at Woodlawn, Cemetery, in Elmira, New York.

group.jpg

willison-portrait-cut-out.jpg

cross-corps-badge-cut-out.jpg

heart-corps-badge-cut-out.jpg

GAR-ribbon-Bt.jpg

cut-out-minnie-ball.jpg

GAR-ribbon-cut-out.jpg

NY-State-roll.jpg

reunion-ribbon.jpg

Really amazing grouping-- used to see these type of groupings, but it seems most have been split out over the years.

Did you get this from the family?

Thanks for sharing.

Scott

Kanemono , that is a great grouping. The condition is top shelf , typically the ribbons get frayed or bleached . These are like new and the corps badges are excellent. You just don’t see many groupings this fresh or complete. The gems in my opinion are the Corps Badges , but then I’am partial to corps badges ,it’s one of my areas of collecting. Really nice and thanks for posting. Mike

Thanks for the replies. I traded for part of the group and bought the rest from the dealer who split up the group. There were a few things that I didn't buy like some signed books but I got the important items.

Dick

Absolutely stellar group. As mike said the corps badges are particularly neat. Are they wartime or postwar? I'm still not sure how to differentiate the two! 

Kyle

Hi Mike and Kyle,

From everything I have found out about the group it seems the mini ball is the one that wounded him. I also believe that the Corps badges are GAR post war pieces.

Dick

Another excellent grouping! Nice that you were able to find the other pieces from the dealer after your initial trade. 

Frank

• 4 months later...

This man is a relative of mine !.... my ggg/grandparents John and Ann Collier ( nee Willison) were from North Yorkshire , UK and I believe Newlove is descended from Ann’s brothers who emigrated to America

Newlove had a brother called William who was with the 188th NY infantry .

I have a photo of Newlove taken in old age somewhere.

Ive always had an interest in the War and have written 5 books on ACW gravesites outside of America

I live about 20 miles North of where the Willison family originated from. They came from the village of Atwick where they are recorded as early as the 1500s