728th Bombardment Squadron patch

GreaseBall

Good morning and hello,

I was hoping someone might here might have some historical information about the patch pictured here. I know that it's the patch of the 728th Bombardment Squadron, which is now the 728th Airlift Squadron.

The squadron stood up in 1943 and ultimately participated in the ETO.  What I can't seem to find anywhere online is who created the patch or designed it. Was it in fact a Walt Disney patch or an RKO patch?

Any insight would be truly appreciated.

Screenshot_20200910-075735-1.png

If you don't have any luck with this posting you might try a query at the 452dBombGp forum on FaceBook.

452nd Bomb Group at Deopham Green | Facebook

You might also request the official emblem Approval letter from the Air Force Historical Agency.

The name of the design originator is sometimes (but not always) mentioned in these documents..

If you strike out on both of these sources, try and locate a copy of the squadron and/or group

wartime log books. These often contain historical details such as you are seeking.

Good luck with your search.

EMBLEM. Over and through a yellow orange disc, a caricatured gray elephant with red aircraft wings, edged white, strapped about the middle with wide white band, holding a large light turquoise blue aerial bomb bendwise in the trunk, all between two small white cloud formations in sinister base and dexter chief, respectively. (Approved 18 Jan 1944.)   Maurer. Combat Squadrons of the Air Force World War II. USAF. 1982. p 724.

Maurer usually noted those images designed by Walt Disney Studios, and did not indicate this being one of them.

RKO patches were not official issues. This euphemism is used to refer to insignia printed for collectors and, in a few instances, for use in the production of motion pictures or television. At best, collectible reproductions.