General Questions

Ron Merchant

Juston--Thanks for the reply. You may be right, but I have seen references in places other than Vanguard. I thought perhaps it referred to the use of metal thread resistant to tarnish in salt water air aboard ship.

1 hour ago, Ron Merchant said:

Juston--Thanks for the reply. You may be right, but I have seen references in places other than Vanguard. I thought perhaps it referred to the use of metal thread resistant to tarnish in salt water air aboard ship.

I could be wrong, then. I've only noticed it with Vanguard.

Another "General Question". Perhaps it belongs in a different topic but this one seemed the most appropriate.

I have a number of E-1, E-2 and E-3 patches on white cloth that are yellowed with either age or staining. Is there a safe way to return these to white without damaging the colored chevrons? Would an over night soak in a bowl of water with a little bleach work? Any other suggestions? Along the same lines, how about cleaning dirty patches in general, like unit insignia, other services rank chevrons?

8 hours ago, Ron Merchant said:

Another "General Question". Perhaps it belongs in a different topic but this one seemed the most appropriate.

I have a number of E-1, E-2 and E-3 patches on white cloth that are yellowed with either age or staining. Is there a safe way to return these to white without damaging the colored chevrons? Would an over night soak in a bowl of water with a little bleach work? Any other suggestions? Along the same lines, how about cleaning dirty patches in general, like unit insignia, other services rank chevrons?

Letting them soak in Oxiclean is also an option. 

Thanks for the cleaning directions. I'll try the Woolite first as it sounds like the more gentle idea and less likely to affect the color of the chevrons.