Revell's 1/48 scale F-105D "Thud" Thunderchief.

ArtyScout

The "sticks" are fuze extenders, which detonate the bomb above the surface. When a bomb penetrates the surface, much of the effect is absorbed in blowing a hole in the ground, so the extender prevents that.

2 hours ago, JBFloyd said:

The "sticks" are fuze extenders, which detonate the bomb above the surface. When a bomb penetrates the surface, much of the effect is absorbed in blowing a hole in the ground, so the extender prevents that.

Thanks Jeff. I didn't know that. Thank you Mikie & Lars for the comments.

Semper Fi.

Manny

You can also see the arming wire on a couple of pics running from the nose fuse to the tail fuse. This would be pulled when the bomb dropped and the fuses would spin to arm the bomb on the way down. Very nicely detailed.

Randy

• 2 weeks later...

Well "Unofficially" this aircraft is done. I installed the remaining bomb ordnance under the fuselage and it's done. Unfortunately the stand which I ordered was NOT strong enough to hold onto this plane eventhough it was supposed to hold a 1/48 scale aircraft. So I'm making a makeshift one. Its a WIP as I decide what to put in the white area of the stand. Here are some pics and when the stand is completed I will post some more and probably use the paint app along with a nice backdrop. As always all comments and critiques are greatly appreciated.

Semper Fi.

Manny

resized_20201020_232721.jpg

resized_20201020_231941.jpg

resized_20201019_222157.jpg

Hey All, I know that "Officially" this aircraft is done but as you may have seen in my previous pics the stand was a makeshift apparatus. So I dipped the the clear posts in Future Acrylic and I airbrushed a camo look to the white area of the stand. I REALLY wanted to put aerial photos of jungle but my printer decided to run out of ink at the most inappropriate time. So I went for the next best thing. I WILL hopefully be posting a couple of other pics of this bird in flight; but I won't hold my breath. LOL.

Semper Fi.

Manny

resized_20201022_234926.jpg

resized_20201022_235015.jpg

resized_20201022_235052.jpg

4 hours ago, ArtyScout said:

OK, OK I promise; this is my last pic. Now onto my next project. Enjoy.

Semper Fi.

Manny

resized_20201024_223232 - Copy.jpg

Why are you posting a pic of a real plane here? 

• 4 months later...