Revell's 1/48 scale F-105D "Thud" Thunderchief.

ArtyScout

Well I accidentally put this topic on the World forum although its not messing anything up. Anyway I've started the F-105D from Revell and it looks like a nice build.

I have some progress pics now and I'll be posting some more as I go along. I'm building this kit OOB with the possibility of AM pilots since it has everything I want.

I did this plane in 1/72 scale but the decals were atrociously old, so I'm giving it another go. I'll be continuing this thread on this site. Enjoy.

Semper Fi.

Manny

resized_20200910_002338.jpg

resized_20200910_002440.jpg

resized_20200910_002514.jpg

resized_20200910_002527.jpg

Well I tweaked and cleaned up the pit, added it to the fuselage after I primed it and the wings. I've decided to put this "Thud" in flying mode. It will be a change of pace and considering its 1/48 scale I'll probably will need two rods to keep it airborne. So far I'm very impressed with the relief of this Revell kit.

Semper Fi.

Manny

resized_20200914_004108.jpg

resized_20200914_004009.jpg

resized_20200914_004021.jpg

Well I was cruising along after doing my preliminary paint job, when I discovered that the decals for this plane just broke apart as I tried to apply them. I was very disappointed since I've worked with Revell decals and they are normally very good. The F-14 I built was from Revell with great decals. So I'll be taking a recess for a week until I get the new ones I ordered. But here is my F-105D with its preliminary camo scheme.

Semper Fi.

Manny

resized_20200920_001210.jpg

resized_20200920_001258.jpg

resized_20200920_001314.jpg

6 hours ago, Texengland said:

What kind of stand is that? I like it.

Hey Texengland, the stand is sold by Tamiya. Check their website, or other hobby suppliers. It has the stand pictured and another one with spring clips.

Semper Fi.

Manny

Hey Texengland, the stand is sold by Tamiya. Check their website, or other hobby suppliers. It has the stand pictured and another one with spring clips.

Semper Fi.

Manny
Awesome thanks

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk

Well I got lucky and received my AM decals in the mail this weekend and I went to work. I normally use Testors GlossCote to gloss a model so the decals go on well, but this time I tried Future Acrylic. I use it for clear parts to give it a nice glass look. The decals are great but I fear I didn't use enough Future Acrylic. Please let me get your critiques and comments on the decals on the left side of the cockpit. Here are some pics.

Semper Fi.

Manny

resized_20200927_010041.jpg

resized_20200927_010110.jpg

resized_20200927_010211.jpg

Good looking Thud!

I'm reminded of a funny note I read somewhere. It said if a Thud pilot was all out of ordnance and came across an enemy tank, it was recommended to land near it, taxi over top of it, and cycle the landing gear several times thereby smashing the tank into the ground. 

2 hours ago, collectsmedals said:

I read one time that the F-105 was proof that if you put a big enough engine in a brick you could get it to fly.

Ha! I have a friend who retired from the USAF in the 90s and he says his favorite plane was the Thud he flew in Vietnam (and he was flying F-16s when he retired). 

Nice one Manny. I got to work on a few of these early on. It became my favorite after learning the history behind it. One small observation: The rear engine nozzle segments are closed in normal flight unless it's in afterburner. They would be open also if on the ground. The bottom segment would droop after hydraulic pressure bled off. These also acted as speed brakes, with all 4 petals opening unless the landing gear was down, then only the two side ones would open to prevent the bottom one hitting the runway. Looking forward to your progress on this one!

Randy

Hey Randy, you are absolutely correct but it seems Revell intended for this kit to be built while it sat on the tarmac, since the lower nozzle section part is only in the "droop down" position. I want to make it in flight mode, so "afterburners" it is. Thanks for the critique. 

No problem Manny. Dave Waldrop was only credited with one MIG kill, though two were claimed and all his flight members are convinced two were in fact downed. Thus the two kill markings. I ran into him a few times in the 90s when he was flying civilian F-104s for Starfighters. Real down to earth guy. 

Randy

f105 100 nvn 1.jpg

Well I've made some headway. I painted the pilot. Definitely NOT my best work, but it will do. I'd like to see some 1/48 scale resin figures.   I hand painted the canopy and attached it once the pilot found his way into the cockpit. I also attached the external fuel pods and the outer bombs on the pylons. I'm holding off on adding the other bombs on the fuselage pylon because I ordered an aircraft stand and it might take a week or two to get to me. I might scratch build one. Enjoy the pics and I hope to finish this bird soon.

Semper Fi.

Manny

resized_20201006_151645.jpg

resized_20201006_151703.jpg

resized_20201006_234201.jpg

resized_20201006_234233.jpg

resized_20201006_235508.jpg

resized_20201006_235641.jpg

Manny, your 1/48 scale pilot is painted much better than many 1/35 scale ones I have seen, good job! It´s coming along nicely!

Can you please tell me the meaning of these "sticks" on the bomb´s top. Are these special fuzes?

Thunderbird.jpg