Graduation Wing

juvatwad

I'm not sure what to make of this one. It's off a tunic, but it just looks weird to me. Weird finish, looks cast, messed up sterling mark, etc. I'd appreciate other opinions.

wng1.jpg.ad1e25cfe5a816ffbf52404352719c04.jpg

wing2.jpg.c71a1d069be25f0a062c9cd8b4390e62.jpg

wng3.jpg.19a8a5b3d1064d03d3dbb439e3244fe3.jpg

wng4.jpg.303ab34e28c55b3fbc60774d9ad507e3.jpg

There is nothing wrong with these wings.  It is possible that it wasn't sterling silver when the planchet was struck, but they used the wrong forcer.  They would have had to deface the sterling mark, sometimes you see that happen.  

It is what it is, a nice (but rather common) graduation/issue wing likely born sometime between WWII and the KW.

Ok, thanks for the info. I guess that’s it: it’s not sterling, and all the oddities stem from me thinking it was supposed to be sterling.

They made tons of these (literally).  I think if you were patient, you would find them with all sorts of markings and such.  At least some of the Government issued contracts for wing insignia indicated for them to be made in STERLING silver.  But you will find non-sterling examples as well.  Who knows what was going on back then--I'm sure that the vagaries of war played a part?