Did this General receive the Presidential Medal of Freedom

manayunkman

Elizabeth, I remember you said something about appreciating miniature medals.

This is the first set of miniature CAP medals I ever found.

The General was in CAP.

DEE1B582-C457-49F8-B0D9-4D16A66D043C.jpeg

BBDDF693-DF33-4C5E-BC82-752DB4F1C903.jpeg

C6BE6F00-0A7A-456D-ACBA-868E195BECCA.jpeg

• 1 month later...

According to the director of alumni at Norwich U. Edmondson was a Lieutenant General in The US Army.

He also said that he was very active with the Drill Team, Christian fellowship and Ski Patrol until he passed away. 

He called him an alumni with historical military service.

Looks like someone has a bunch of his ribbons for sale on ebay, i don't know how to transfer it over to here but just type in his last name and bang

6 hours ago, manayunkman said:

According to the director of alumni at Norwich U. Edmondson was a Lieutenant General in The US Army.

He also said that he was very active with the Drill Team, Christian fellowship and Ski Patrol until he passed away. 

He called him an alumni with historical military service.

I have no doubt that is what he told them.

I have the West Point register of graduates and the closest any name comes to his is spelled Edmonson not the same as his and this guy graduated 1920

I did not ask whether he went to USMA.

I asked if West Point kept tabs on their alumni?

Do they keep a record of the military service of their alumni? 

Does the Citadel keep records of their alumni’s service in the military?

3 hours ago, manayunkman said:

Do they keep a record of the military service of their alumni? 

They do but you need to know what year the graduated.

Norwich University, America’s oldest military college, also keeps a record of their graduates.

According to their alumni office Edmondson is not just a General but a Lieutenant General with historical military service.

If West Point knows a graduate became a General why wouldn’t Norwich know ? 

Does Norwich also believe he was awarded a Presidential Medal of Freedom?

Until you can provide an official government document showing him as a LTG, you have nothing but an interesting story.

I

16 minutes ago, lettow said:

Does Norwich also believe he was awarded a Presidential Medal of Freedom?

Until you can provide an official government document showing him as a LTG, you have nothing but an interesting story.  

I am waiting for a reply to that very question.

What gave me a shot of optimism was finding out that he actually did graduate from Norwich. 

Basic Rifleman

The items OP listed on eBay are starting to end this week. I'm just glad this forum post on Edmondson ranked high enough on a google search that I saw this before considering a bid. I am grateful for this forum in this capacity...

I too have made purchases that I wanted desperately to be something they weren't, and it's troubling when they don't pan out or items have been faked, forged, or in this case "exaggerated." 

I think there's more than enough evidence here that: 

A) Edmondson was never promoted to anything close to the rank of General by the U.S. DOD. The OP was correct in saying the USSC "promotes" their volunteers and they are "authorized" military dress  attire, but the only thing I can find online is modern dress uniforms with plastic name tags that clearly state they're part of the USSC as shown in this lot. But....there's not another example of a USSC "General" wearing 1980's fatigues with official Army name tapes and sew on General stars.

B) The Presidential Medal of Freedom lists online are pretty extensive and mostly complete.  It being a fairly modern award (since the 1960's) there's a higher than average likelihood that one single local news story or photo would have made its way to the internet in some fashion. Yet, nothing exists... Same is true with the rare CBE medal that another Forum Member fact checked and there's no record of an Edmondson receiving the award in a Complete list published online.

C) There's also nothing online from Norwich claiming Edmondson as a "Notable Alumnus," and they have a pretty extensive list of everyone who's reached the rank of Flag officer both on their site and wikipedia. They like to brag about these Alumnus for future enrolment, and certainly someone who received the PMoF, was an "Advisor to the President" and reached the rank of LtGen. would be someone they'd be bragging about.

In closing, there's not a single piece of photographic evidence or legit bio written by anyone other than Edmondson or those close to him that substantiate any of his accolades after his Army service ended (presumably at major). Also, no medals are named or engraved to him, and for a guy who seems to be so meticulous in saving every medal or award, there isn't a single shred of paper in the form of corresponding award documents, official DOD citations, newspaper clippings, photographs, etc., that corroborate receiving the prestigious awards, promotions, etc. in his "collection."

It just doesn't seem too hard to believe a guy who created his own religion also created his own award and service history. See Scientology and their "Freedom Medal of Valor". This fella had a God complex. Period.

It’s as if Edmondson didn’t even exist.

In the auction it is stated that there is no official information could be found that back up Edmondson’s claims.

It was Ryan Smith from the Norwich alumni office who claimed that Edmondson was a distinguished alumni with “historical military service” amongst other positive attributes like all the volunteer work he did at the school.

He addressed Edmondson as Lieutenant General.

With that said other than the first contact, Mr Smith has not responded to any of my questions.

Basic Rifleman

Folks at the American Legion used to refer to my Grandfather as "Captain." Not because he served as an electrician's mate in WWII aboard DD-675, but from his time as the captain of the Maryland State Governor's yacht in the 1960's. The difference here is he didn't add War Eagles to his old Navy uniforms.

I feel like selling those uniforms and other effects on eBay stating they're from the estate of "U.S. Army Lieutenant General..." was misleading at best. 

It states in the auction that there is no official record of him being a General.

It also states to check on line for information about him, which is the best I can do because I once mentioned the forum by name and was reprimanded by eBay for trying to make deals off the site.

I know that the forum will pop up first, that’s why it says to check on line in the auction description.

It’s clear, as well,  from the realized prices that things sold for what the item is worth but many things sold for below their value or didn’t sell at all, including all the uniforms and generals hats.

Nobody was fooled here and the story had no influence on bidding.

Nobody tried to keep the group together either.

Why? because they read the entire description and did the research.

So your judgement is mute.

But to top it all off, someone in his family is upset with us over the auctions because they know he was a General and how dare we say otherwise.

I’m sorry that you and the family are not happy