Did this General receive the Presidential Medal of Freedom

manayunkman

2 hours ago, manayunkman said:

Not everyone went to Nam.

He was in the State side Engineers and adjutant to the commanding general from 68-70 according to his bio.

70-75 is unaccounted for and in 75 became a chaplain.

And what was he doing before his commission in 68?

He has a GCM on his medal ribbon bars so he was an enlisted man? 

It would have been very easy to lie about Vietnam service.

If this guy lied about being a general why not have some combat time in Vietnam too?

It seems like on these ribbon bars, he claimed service in Vietnam....

Strange fella, and all the ribbons are giving me a headache trying to figure out his service.

C73644A6-F078-4884-ABB2-E358B3B91511.jpeg.7c6c1040647767e0443acc191a222ba1.jpeg

Hi Eric,

I saw those ribbons in the pile.

My comment about Vietnam Service had more to do with the decorations on his uniforms. 

If they were on his uniform that’s a totally different story. 

I picked the stuff up today and found out that they have all his photos and papers.

In the next few days I should find out more. 

For tonight I have this, in 1968 he was at Ft Dix.

9F61E53E-9AD3-43CE-B3B7-60C262B4FC57.jpeg

AB1E6C84-5705-426A-9069-B8E35124EA4D.jpeg

FAA1682F-F99F-4008-AA71-4F8487E9A842.jpeg

Austin_Militaria

The International Air Cadet Exchange is an annual student exchange program designed to promote character, good-will, and cooperation among the world's civilian auxiliary aviation programs. Participants come from organizations such as the Air Training Corps, Girls Venture Corps Air Cadets, Australian Air Force Cadets, United States Civil Air Patrol, German Society for Aeronautics and Astronautics, Royal Canadian Air Cadets, Turkish Aeronautical Association, Hong Kong Air Cadet Corps, Singapore National Cadet Corps, along with fifteen other equivalent groups in other nations. Cadets spend approximately two weeks every July/August with their foreign counterparts. The first exchange occurred in 1947, between the United Kingdom and Canada.

During the exchange, cadets are provided housing by volunteer families and on military installations in their host nation. Scheduled activities vary depending on the host nation, but often include tours of famous landmarks and cultural institutions, tours of local aviation facilities or factories, lectures with local aviation figures and visits to military units. Financially, each nation is responsible for its own cadets, and often comes from governments, civilian aviation enthusiasts, or aerospace industry.

According to its mission statement, the Exchange exists to promote more than a love of aviation. Character development is equally important. Cadets develop a better perspective on the challenges other countries face. The friendships they make through the Exchange help the world combat hatred and intolerance. Through the Exchange, cadets grow to understand and appreciate the roles different nations play in aerospace, as well as build international understanding, goodwill, and friendship among young people who have a common interest in aviation.

I noticed a UK CBE (Commander of the British Empire) in the pictures.

I checked the London Gazette as all recepients are published there. No US citizen (or General) with the name Edmondson is mentioned.

Also, the ribbon is incorrect. I enclose a picture of the order as found in the belongings of Edmondson and a picture of the order with the correct ribbon.

Another red flag. 

Regards 

Herman 

C73644A6-F078-4884-ABB2-E358B3B91511.jpeg.7c6c1040647767e0443acc191a222ba1-1.jpg

CBEwithMilitaryRibbon.jpg.jpeg

Austin_Militaria

It looks like they gave you more stuff then just what was listed in the auctions, that is great. Did they mention anything about family? I suspect that everything was left to the Mormon church that wrote the obituary?

Austin,

I was the first one there and could choose what ever I wanted of items that have been found after the auction started.

His leather Generals belt, report cards from high school, year books, items from Norwich military academy and more.

There were no surviving relatives at the sale and the estate was being handled by a law firm.

His graduating HS year book had more than one autograph Mentioning him becoming a general.

Everything is still packed up so I won’t be able to photograph it for a couple days.

Sis has some friends who are British militaria collectors, if you want to give me a photo of your medal and have her ask about it!

So, if I have it straight, he was a self-appointed or commissioned general officer of a non-military organization he established? And, he self-awarded actual US and foreign medals and decorations to himself? But, that is a nice assemblage of assorted material. 

31 minutes ago, atb said:

So, if I have it straight, he was a self-appointed or commissioned general officer of a non-military organization he established? And, he self-awarded actual US and foreign medals and decorations to himself? But, that is a nice assemblage of assorted material. 

There is no doubt about it there is no information on his military career after 1978 that is verifiable so I agree with you.

What non military organization? 

57 minutes ago, stratasfan said:

Sis has some friends who are British militaria collectors, if you want to give me a photo of your medal and have her ask about it!

I think the medal is a reproduction.

The center doesn’t have the 2 Kings like Herman’s example nor does it have the Greek Goddess sitting on her throne but it has several figures.

The different images represent different grades of the medal.

It’s going to be a few days before I dig it out and I’ll post a picture.

43 minutes ago, atb said:

"What non military organization?"

I must have misinterpreted what the ALCC is and thought he was a 'general' in that organization. 

The US Service Command is a non-military organization.  He was a LTG in that organization.

I am curious to see what his actual service history is.  He apparently had noteworthy service but still felt the need to embellish it a little.  

5 minutes ago, lettow said:

The US Service Command is a non-military organization.  He was a LTG in that organization.

I am curious to see what his actual service history is.  He apparently had noteworthy service but still felt the need to embellish it a little.  

Just "a little?"

The ALCC is a Lutheran based church that is actively seeking to rejoin the Catholic Church.

He was a Bishop and eventually the head of the church, when Gladfelter stepped down and had several parishes under his leadership.

I read prayers, sermons and opinions he wrote and he was very conservative in his views.

It could be this conservatism that led him to the Mormon church and it’s my opinion that he came to the conclusion that the Catholic Church had drifted away from what he saw as right.

It’s Gladfelter of ALCC who did Edmondson's Wikipedia page.

It’s the Mormon church who did the obituary. 

The people at the sale told me that legal representatives of the current owner hired them to do the sale.

I wondered out loud and said “do you think it’s one of the churches?” 

The answer was probably because there was no next of kin.

The Mormon the obituary names one but apparently they aren’t involved.?

Blah blah blah

But there are papers and photos to come, regardless it looks like any claims to being a General are an impersonation at best.

He’s either the most under the radar 4 star General in history or a total fraud.

He was a 4 star in the US Service Command a non profit organization set up like the military and wore army uniforms? 

I found another pair of these in the pocket of the green uniform.

C23A7084-5C00-4B25-959C-08E0ADE6E452.jpeg

I got one of the Z scale Marklin train layouts.

The General collected Z scale Marklin trains.

And had an enormous watch collection that included about 40 outstanding military watches.

C4FBC725-0DCD-4447-8CBF-9459A5648F11.jpeg

It might just end up that Edmondson was just a patriotic American who served his country through several organizations over many years. 

The USSC wears Army uniforms.