Did this General receive the Presidential Medal of Freedom

manayunkman

Did Lt. General Robert W. Edmondson receive the PMof F?

Here is a breast star attributed to him and his dress blues with the PMF ribbon.

C73644A6-F078-4884-ABB2-E358B3B91511.jpeg

F5EB5481-3142-48A3-BE99-8152C11884E0.png

Austin_Militaria

No. He was not even a General Officer, he wrote his own Wikipedia page saying that he was. He was an officer in the Army Reserves at one point. I spent a few hours researching him last week.

No . . . wait . . .  . do you mean the ALCC Archbishop? So, he claimed the Presidential MoF but didn't really have one?

1 hour ago, Austin_Militaria said:

No. He was not even a General Officer, he wrote his own Wikipedia page saying that he was. He was an officer in the Army Reserves at one point. I spent a few hours researching him last week.

Wow - looks like even his religion calling. is faked. You do have to appreciate what someone wrote after his death this year: 

"He was a history buff and could weave a tall tale from almost nothing."

5 minutes ago, stratasfan said:

the ALCC Archbishop

Whomever wrote the post-death paragraph noted, "He was a faithful member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Pittsburgh 4th Ward." 

Austin_Militaria

I cant wait for the buyer to put his 3 mocked up uniforms on eBay in the coming weeks. If you parted everything out you might have made a little bit of money. I doubt the Presidential Advisor badges were real ones.

Austin_Militaria

The wikipage.

Robert Walter Edmondson is the second Metropolitan Archbishop of the Anglo-Lutheran Catholic Church (ALCC). Edmondson was elected Metropolitan Archbishop by the Holy Synod of the ALCC on December 12, 2011, and replaces the founder and first Metropolitan Archbishop, Irl A. Gladfelter.[1][2] Prior to his election he served as the ALCC's Vicar general (Chief of Staff in the Office of the Metropolitan Archbishop) Director, Office for the Promotion of Christian Unity, Archbishop of the ALCC's Archdiocese for the Military Services and Veteran’s Affairs;[3] Secretary General of the Augustana Catholic Communion, and Archbishop Ordinary, Archdiocese of Pittsburgh-Ohio Valley.[4][5][6] He is a life-professed Augustinian priest in the ALCC's Priestly Society of Saint Augustine[7] and Chairman of the Board of Governors of St. Ambrose College, Catholic Theological Consortium.[8]

Edmondson is a graduate of Norwich University (the Military College of Vermont), Bloomfield College, Drew University (theological school), and Louisville Presbyterian Theological Seminary; holding the degrees of Bachelor of Arts (B.A.), Master of Divinity (M.Div.), Master of Sacred Theology (S.T.M.), Doctor of Ministry (D.Min.), and Doctor of Theology (Th.D.) He also has received the honorary degrees of Doctor of Divinity and Doctor of Humane Letters. Edmondson has had a long and distinguished career in the United States Army. He was commissioned a Second Lieutenant, US Army Corps of Engineers, in 1968; was the Aide de Camp to the Commanding General of the US Army Corps of Engineers from 1968 to 1970; and was appointed to the US Army Chaplain Corps as a chaplain in 1975. As an army chaplain, he was Unit Chaplain of the Year in 1985. He served as Staff Chaplain with the 82nd Airborne Division, XVIII Airborne Corps, served as a staff officer, Headquarters, U.S. Army Reserve Officers Corps, and at NATO Headquarters. Edmondson served as an Exchange Officer to the West German Defense Ministry and the Royal Belgium Army. He has served in the Department of the U.S. Army General Staff, in the United States Department of Defense, and served as a Military Advisor to the President of the United States. Edmondson was promoted to the rank of Brigadier General in 1997 and is now a Lieutenant General, Corps of Engineers, USAR.[8][9]

Austin_Militaria

His Obituary.

https://www.copelandfuneralhomes.com/obituary/Robert-Edmondson

Robert Walter Edmondson, 74, a proud son, patriot, and friend, of Sewickley, passed peacefully in his home on Sunday, May 3, 2020. He was born in Summit, NJ on August 9, 1945 to the late Walter Carver and Alice Elizabeth (Sullivan) Edmondson. A graduate of Bloomfield College and Drew University Theological School, he was a military advisor and chaplain in the U.S. Army Reserves. He was a faithful member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Pittsburgh 4th Ward, Franklin Park. Robert was an avid collector of watches dating back to WWI and antique trains. He was a history buff and could weave a tall tale from almost nothing. He comported himself as an in-charge person with larger than life military stance and booming voice. He is survived by his loving church family. All services were private, and burial was at the National Cemetery of the Alleghenies. Arrangements by Copeland’s.

He was a bishop in the ALCC and his name can be found in their records.

Ive never heard of the ALCC before but in the end he might have turned Mormon or that’s what came to mind when I first read it.

I bought the group and will have it soon.

4 hours ago, manayunkman said:

He was a bishop in the ALCC and his name can be found in their records.

Ive never heard of the ALCC before but in the end he might have turned Mormon or that’s what came to mind when I first read it.

I bought the group and will have it soon.

Please show us some nice detailed pictures when you have it in your possession. Could be a nice research topic for this forum.

Regards 

Herman 

Herman don’t worry I will.

In retrospect it looks like I’ve gone out on a limb buying this one. 

Ive been researching the daylights out of this while on the road so it’s very hard with a bouncing phone in a truck with poor shocks.

I found the home site for the ALCC with a name, PO Box, phone #, email address and a web site. 

I clicked on this website and found a picture of the Reverend.

I also found one of Edmondson in his early years as an Lt.?

They look to be 40 years appart

54A88B16-DD86-4989-8C27-C50EF30AB810.jpeg

AA711FAC-0BF6-42CB-80C7-86DC3F10B3A7.png

Also of interest is the Wikipedia page which looks like it was done by the founder of ALCC Irl Gladfelter with a few others making minor contributions.

Here is another piece of puzzle, don’t know the year.5FDBD468-19B7-4718-AC94-D0572A762D64.jpeg.741131870c3aa1c4300797ae31f1d7b7.jpeg

Austin_Militaria

manayunkman, I was researching him for several days too. Glad I found what I did or there would have been a serious bidding war and one of us out a lot of money. With what you paid you can easily part it out and make some money.

According to the Wiki page on the ALCC, it was founded in 1997 by Edmondson. The Wiki page is still in edit mode and not locked, meaning that most of what it says is unfounded. The ALCC website lists no physical addresses, just gmail email addresses of people around the world. I believe he just created his own church and military history of himself. There would be some internet record of him being a Lt. General, especially serving in the white house, but there is not. 

There is no doubt that some things don’t ad up and I know more about the Anglo Lutheran Catholic Church than i ever did.

It seams they are Protestant who want to be part of the Catholic Church while remaining Protestant.

Rev. Edmondson had several parishes under his authority. 

Enjoying following this thread! Very interesting, and certainly adds a lot of insight for newer collectors to make sure and do all the research you guys are doing. Thanks for sharing all of this, as it is super informative! Really nice stuff, manayunkman, even if it isn't exactly going to be all original together. Are you thinking of parting it out or keeping it together? 

Elizabeth,

There is no need to do anything hasty.

When I pick the group up I’m going to grill everyone and get more information.

Austin is justified in his research as there is no information about him being a General other than that that can’t be proven.

But crazy things sometimes happen so we shall see.

In the end if there is no basis to this claim then I will split it up and sell it but include the story of where it comes from.

What I find unusual is that the Reverend didn’t add some Vietnam, Desert Storm time or valor medals.

If you’re going to tell a lie, tell a really big lie.

If you’re going to weave a tail....

Peter

Just now, manayunkman said:

Elizabeth,

There is no need to do anything hasty.

When I pick the group up I’m going to grill everyone and get more information.

Austin is justified in his research as there is no information about him being a General other than that that can’t be proven.

But crazy things sometimes happen so we shall see.

In the end if there is no basis to this claim then I will split it up and sell it but include the story of where it comes from.

What I find unusual is that the Reverend didn’t add some Vietnam, Desert Storm time or valor medals.

If you’re going to tell a lie, tell a really big lie.

If you’re going to weave a tail....

Peter

Thanks for all the info! this is interesting! That is an immense amount of items all together, that's for sure! I did notice that there were no Vietnam ribbons, which seemed odd for someone serving at the time that he did. The funny thing is, sometimes in researching I find that higher officers are harder to find out about than lower ranks! Of course . . . you'd think there would be something more about the Presidential Medal of Freedom, etc. Also, it is a funny Church to look up, really, as it is hard to find anything deep about it! Can't wait to watch your group unfold! Some amazing items regardless of the background, though! I just love seeing mini-medal racks!

Not everyone went to Nam.

He was in the State side Engineers and adjutant to the commanding general from 68-70 according to his bio.

70-75 is unaccounted for and in 75 became a chaplain.

And what was he doing before his commission in 68?

He has a GCM on his medal ribbon bars so he was an enlisted man? 

It would have been very easy to lie about Vietnam service.

If this guy lied about being a general why not have some combat time in Vietnam too?

He was also a Lt. Colonel and Chaplin in the Civil Air Patrol.

Many of the misc. ribbon bars, rank insignia and hats in the insignia lot are CAP.

I can’t find anything about him in the CAP either.